20ish & 30ish Boston Book Club Message Board › Book Club needs a hero!

Book Club needs a hero!

Closed to new replies

Nick
user 10094294
Somerville, MA
Hi Book Clubbers,

In a few months I'm going to be moving very far away. Does this make you sad? Don't worry; Book Club doesn't need me, but it does need someone to do the things that I've been doing. Ask yourself: Am I that person?

Somewhat importantly, I'd like someone to step up and take over organizing the Cambridge meeting that I've been doing. You don't need to be a long time member or anything like that, just willing to do the book selection process and to be an open and welcoming beam of sunshine for 10 or 20 people to gather around once a month.

Much more importantly, someone needs to take over the "head organizer" position for the Meetup. If no one does this, all of Book Club will disappear *poof*. There are over 1,400 people signed up to the site right now, which is an enormous number, and over 200 who actively do something through the group, which is also a big number. It would break my tiny, blackened heart to see this die! The catch is that this whole deal costs money each month (about what you would pay for Netflix) and whoever takes on the "head organizer" position is responsible for the cash. There's no reason that you can't extort a dollar from folks at a meeting to cover costs; I had initially planned on doing that, but in the end the added hassle wasn't worth it.

Again, I don't care who you are, how long you've been a member, if you have ever read a book, whether or not you have been convicted of any felonies, just so long as you're willing to take on the minor responsibilities associated with running Book Club.

If you think you might be interested in doing either or both of the above things, e-mail me.

Nick