addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

BOOMERang Message Board › Retirees' Five-month road trip with ATVs in 2013

Retirees' Five-month road trip with ATVs in 2013

A former member
Post #: 8
Hi, I retired last year. I have done some extensive traveling here in the USA and overseas, 4WD, hiking, camping, and motorboating/paddling at great places. One of the nicest things about retirement is, you don't have to come home!!
I think it'd be cool to gather a dozen or less retirees together, each with their own ATV and campervan and gear, and travel to the national forests for the summer of 2013 (will need a year to plan). It'd be decisions by consensus, but what I envision is a circuitous route - NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ. These federal campgrounds and trails are lesser-known to the public because you have to get information from rangers and know where to look for good old fashioned print maps issued only by the regional forest office, as I discovered last summer. It's amazing how beautiful and isolated these public lands are! We need to see them when we have the time and health to do it, before we end up in the old folks' home. This will be a trip of a lifetime, a big "B" bucket list activity, probably never to be repeated in our individual . If I can get together 12 or fewer hardy adventurers who enjoy primitive camping mixed with campgrounds with electricity every now and then, it'd be great. We'd be trail riding in our personal ATV (not the noisy speedy youthful ones) puttering along 20 to 50 miles on a trail (take lunch and bear spray), and living one day at a time, while also visiting lots of small towns of western USA, to include local fairs and rodeos, whatnot. The key is to be extremely open and flexible. It'd be a blast. But, not sure how many folks out there are retired with the big toys and no pressing family responsibilities in order to pull this off. So, I'm throwing this out there to test the waters.