For December, we're doing something special for our monthly Social Meetup, a gift exchange! If you would like to exchange gifts with another random Meetup member, here's what you need to know:
* Bring a NEW, WRAPPED gift to the meetup. Your gift will go in a big pile, and you'll get a numbered ticket.
* Your gift should be at least $20, mostly just to ensure that everyone gets something nice. You can spend more if you're feeling generous, but there is no obligation to do so.
* Think geeky for the gifts! Books, movies, games, comics, action figures, hats, they all work.
* Whenever possible, include a gift receipt, although this is not a requirement.
* If you really can't think of anything, you can wrap a gift card, but please try not to do that, as it is pretty obvious that it is a gift card, and those gifts tend to be the last ones picked.
* We'll call out ticket numbers at random, and when your number is called, you pick a present from the pile. If you don't like it, we're very sorry. You can try to swap with other people after all the presents are given out, or you can return it if there is a gift receipt.
Now onto the regularly scheduled details:
Come out and meet and mingle with other Boston Science Fiction and Fantasy fans at our monthly Social Meetup! We meet for food, drinks, games, and excellent companionship. We'll be at M.J. O'Connor's (the Park Plaza location). They are reserving their entire 150 person back room exclusively for us! Since we have extra space here, I'll bring some board games along.
More about M.J. O'Connor's here: http://back-bay.mjoconnors.com/
Please keep in mind that there are a couple of M.J. O'Connor locations, we'll be at the Park Plaza location at 27 Columbus Ave. in Boston
* There is no theme or agenda, just people talking about Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and geeky things that we like (and dislike). If you can't come on time, that's fine, we usually have a large group until 8:00 PM. M.J. O'Connors is open until 2am if you want to stay extra late, but they may ask to move to the main bar around 10pm.
* If you have SciFi/Fantasy Books or DVDs that you don't want anymore, feel free to bring them to the meetup and give them away (no sales, please). Be sure to take home anything that isn't claimed before you leave!
* There is no charge for this meetup, but the restaurant that hosts us greatly appreciates your business (and doesn't charge us a room rental fee), so please come hungry (or at least buy a drink). Also, please don't forget to pay your bill before you leave!
It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Park Street T stop (Red and green) and a five minute walk from either Arlington and the Boylston stops on the green line
There are pay parking lots around. For example, the Motor Mart Garage (motormartgarage.com) which is just around the block and is $10 for up to 3 hours, if you come in after 5pm.
Here is a map to the location.
There are some metered parking spots for the those willing to drive around and be patient, but only a few.
Update: If anyone wants to see a few pics of the space (which is all for us!) go here: http://www.meetup.com/boston-scifi/photos/15860992/