align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Boston Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Group activities

Group activities

Josiah
user 3504482
Somerville, MA
Post #: 1
I am looking to encourage some group activities and am looking for idea's and/or implementers. Here are some of my idea's which are here mostly as grist.

1) A group on fitocracy.com to have competitions internal to the group for exercise.
2) A BA team for a trivia night.
3) ....
4) Profit!!!

-Josiah
A former member
Post #: 1

• Bowling?
  • Potlucks?
  • Movie outings?
  • Reading club?
  • Stuff with the Harvard Atheists/Humanists? MIT Campus Crusade for Cthulu?
  • Volunteer efforts? Visiting hospitals, helping out the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, etc?
  • What happened to brunch?

Vip
user 8575639
Boston, MA
Post #: 149
I've noticed every online group is socially isolated to the extreme.
It's really odd and wrong. We need balance. People outside these groups do participate in other, non isolated, activities. We should too.

So, NOT bowling, potlucks, brunch, or movies. No mixers or networking type events. Simply going to places statistically has worked out alot better than mixers. And, nothing with a reserved section for the group.

How about the following events (which are really missing from most meetup groups)?:

• Festivals
  • Walking and touring the city - weekends (NOT on Saturday night). Or, walk around
    the Mall.
    City walks, NOT hiking.
  • Museums - weekends (NOT on Saturday night)
  • Farms- weekends (NOT on Saturday night)
  • Cruise- weekends, with the public (NOT private and not on Sat night)
  • Drinks at a bar (Fri, Sat night)
  • Pool (Sat night)