The Boston Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Racism, Misogyny, Social Justice, and Atheism ...

Racism, Misogyny, Social Justice, and Atheism ...

Paul G. B.
PaulGBrown
San Jose, CA
Post #: 11
Follow up from my e-mail message.

Bigotry is bad. Mmmmkay? But what's God got to do with it?
Tamar
Tonthetown
Boston, MA
Post #: 17
Re. the e-mail - here, here. Zack's Toady and my hero!
But what evidence do you have that Cromwell was anti-mince pie?
Paul G. B.
PaulGBrown
San Jose, CA
Post #: 12
Well ... not remotely on-topic ... but ...

Oliver Cromwell's Puritans hated Christmas. They objected to it on sound, theological grounds. Christmas was originally a pagan solstice festival; it wasn't a biblical "Holy Day" (that's Easter). And based on biblical evidence (shepherds don't over-night with their flocks in winter - that's a summer / fall thing) December 25th is clearly not the time of year when "Our Lord and Savior" was born. (All of this might come as a surprise to Bill O'Reilly, but his ignorance is his problem, not mine.)

Anyway - Cromwell's puritans sought to ban Christmas during his Protectorate. But because they couldn't ban the festival itself, they banned the trappings instead. No roasting of geese, baking of mince pies, and so on. The New England Puritans even banned Christmas on the middle of the 17th Century! (Quick! Smelling salts for Mr O'Reilly!)

Grab a copy of Sarah Vowell's "The Wordy Shipmates". Or hit up Wikipedia.
Manny K.
Mkaminer
Boston, MA
Post #: 1
I feel accepting racism, sexism, and homophobia negates the idea that most morality is objective and can be deduced by reason and logic. This would really hurt many arguments against the idea that our morality is divinely interjected. If logic and reasoning are invoked, one would find there is equal human potential amongst all humans. Period. If we look at the Bible verses condoning slavery and say "slavery is objectively wrong," how can we then say "Racism is a subjective matter."
Tamar
Tonthetown
Boston, MA
Post #: 18
That's hilarious ... In a "people are totally nuts" sort of way.
As it happens, someone gave me "The Wordy Shipmates" as a gift.
Guess I better read it.

Well ... not remotely on-topic ... but ...

Oliver Cromwell's Puritans hated Christmas. They objected to it on sound, theological grounds. Christmas was originally a pagan solstice festival; it wasn't a biblical "Holy Day" (that's Easter). And based on biblical evidence (shepherds don't over-night with their flocks in winter - that's a summer / fall thing) December 25th is clearly not the time of year when "Our Lord and Savior" was born. (All of this might come as a surprise to Bill O'Reilly, but his ignorance is his problem, not mine.)

Anyway - Cromwell's puritans sought to ban Christmas during his Protectorate. But because tIhey couldn't ban the festival itself, they banned the trappings instead. No roasting of geese, baking of mince pies, and so on. The New England Puritans even banned Christmas on the middle of the 17th Century! (Quick! Smelling salts for Mr O'Reilly!)

Grab a copy of Sarah Vowell's "The Wordy Shipmates". Or hit up Wikipedia.