addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Boston Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Sunday brunch, March21st discussion

Sunday brunch, March21st discussion

Anirban
Anirban_C
Boston, MA
Post #: 3
Here is a unique perspective to US National debt, with relation to it's GDP. I have made an excel file myself, that I can share with you. However, I came across this website, which makes just the point I was trying to make during brunch. Seems like the current US debt is nothing in comparison to 1938. From my business school lessons, having debt itself is not bad, as long as it is payable. For the average tax-payer, it is important knowing why and how the debt is created and what plans are there to get rid of it as soon as possible.

http://zfacts.com/p/3...­
Zachary B.
zakbos
Boston, MA
Post #: 128
Very interesting -- thanks for the follow-up to what was a challenging and worthwhile conversation. Do you have any further thoughts, A, on this issue of whether the federal government should be allowed to make K-12 education compulsory?

All best,
Zachary
Anirban
Anirban_C
Boston, MA
Post #: 5
Hi Zach and rest of the Atheists,

In response to the discussion about public school education, here are my opinions - if they are worth a penny.

1. Public school education, should be mandatory, at least till middle school, and maybe till high school too. Reason, there is no better way to disseminate knowledge to the masses. Even with all the internet and media penetration, public education system is still the best way to spread knowledge.

2. Better public education leads to better public perception, social involvement and local governance (e.g. most western European countries) although better public education does not necessarily lead to these social boons (e.g. Former Eastern Block).

3. If you look at any country, you would find public education is directly correlated to it's socio-economic development status. Now better (i.e. unbiased/ less biased, publicly funded and mass-available) public education might be a cause or an effect of better socio-economic development, but considering the fact that public education started about a century before the socio-economic development in most developed countries (e.g. United Kingdom, United States, Germany, France etc), it is more of a cause than an effect. Having said that, better socio-economics does help in improving the quality and penetration of public education (e.g. S. Korea, China, India etc).
4. If public education is left in the hand of the "public" i.e. families and local communities, without an organized state involvement, then the chance of developing/ spreading warped and distorted knowledge and views in the children is more likely (e.g. most Mediaval societies and modern countries like Afghanistan, Somalia etc). Having said that, a state sponsored / organized public education system needs careful monitoring by individuals and communities to stop demagoguery (e.g. North Korea, Saudi Arabia).

I would love to hear about other peoples ideas and observations on this.