What: Boston (well, Watertown) Edition of the 2014 Global Windows Azure Bootcamp
Where: Blue Metal Architects, 44 Pleasant Street, Watertown (Watertown Square)
Whence: Saturday, March 29th, 2014 -- a day of learning about Windows Azure, with lots of hands on (you will bring a laptop)
Parking: There is plenty of free parking at the location, and for those of you preferring public transportation, there is direct MBTA bus service to Watertown Square from both Harvard Square (71) and Central Square (70/70A).
Preparation: Please come prepared! Instructions are below. It is important to come prepared since getting set up is not terribly difficult, but it takes a while for things to run. This includes having an Azure account set up in advance. We will make use of this Azure account EARLY in the day and you will use it FREQUENTLY.
HOW DO I CONNECT THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA?
Twitter: #GWAB & #bostonazure
WHAT WILL THE DAY LOOK LIKE?
1. Doors open at 8:45 – fuel up with some food and coffee, get on the wifi, warm up your twitter account (#BostonAzure and #GWAB), and find a seat
2. Bootcamp activities begins promptly at 9:15 - Welcome / About The Day / Start Your Engines
3. Azure Content! - We will all deploy to Windows Azure very early in the day (so be ready!), and we’ll cover many topics (some briefly, some with labs): VMs, Web Sites, Cloud Services, Mobile Services, devops, …
4. ~ 12:30 – Lunch (pizza, provided – we will also have some vegetarian and vegan (no cheese) pizza options)
5. Back to Azure Content!
6. 5:30ish – wrap up content, next steps, SWAG (and, yes, have a LOT of SWAG)
7. 6:00pm – done!
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE DAY?
1. Windows Azure Account
To get the most out of the day you will need a functioning Windows Azure Account. If you have an MSDN subscription (Pro or higher), you may already have an account.
Try here for a FREE TRIAL: http://aka.ms/iaas
Feel free to download the Windows Azure Training Kit: Windows Azure Training Kit Download Page.
2. Visual Studio + Azure Tools
Visual Studio 2012 or 2013, including Express.
The Windows Azure SDK which includes .NET development: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/
Feel free to OPTIONALLY install other SDKs for other languages and tools:
· Node.js SDK - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/nodejs/
· JAVA SDK - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/java/
· Doing mobile? Android? iOS? Windows Phone or Windows 8? - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/mobile/
· PHP - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/php/
· Even more at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/documentation