add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

New Wave - Young Boston Feminists Message Board › book discussion ideas

book discussion ideas

Nick M
Group Organizer
Somerville, MA
Post #: 7
In the past New Wave has had book discussions, and it would be great to have more in the future. I've been compiling a list of book ideas over the last few months, including:

• Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism, edited by Daisy Hernández and Bushra Rehman
  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • Yes Means Yes!: Visions of Female Sexual Power and A World Without Rape by Jaclyn Friedman and Jessica Valenti
  • Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. A graphic novel on growing up as a young girl in Iran and Europe after the revolution
  • Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
  • Transgender Voices: Beyond Women and Men by Lori Girshick and Jamison Green
  • Lysistrata by Aristophanes. Let's talk about gender, sexuality, and patriarchy in ancient Greek literature!

If any of these look particularly interesting to you, or if you have other book ideas, please post below. We can plan a gathering when there are a couple of people interested in a particular book.
A former member
Post #: 2
I think Middlesex and Transgender Voices sound very interesting. Apparently I thought Middlesex looked interesting once before because it's on my bookshelf in the pile of "must read". :)
Medford, MA
Post #: 215
Those sound like incredible books. I'm interested in Lysistrata and Persepolis.
Nick M
Group Organizer
Somerville, MA
Post #: 8
We just had a very interesting discussion on Middlesex­ yesterday evening. If you're interested in more book discussions, please post ideas below and feel free to suggest events! Once a few people are interested in a particular book we can move to the planning phase. I am happy to host, with the caveats that there is a cat of ambiguous morality in residence, and a short flight of stairs out front; but of course others are welcome to host also. I hope we can have another one of these within the next month or two!

Nick M
Group Organizer
Somerville, MA
Post #: 15
We just finished a very nice discussion on Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde last weekend. Are there any recommendations for New Wave's next book to discuss? Chances are it will be in mid to late April, and I'm happy to host, as always.
Daryl C.
user 9903616
Boston, MA
Post #: 6
I finished Half the Sky a few months ago and it was an excellent, eye-opening, life-changing read that I highly recommend and I would love to go to a discussion of this book so that's my vote!
Katya M.
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 62
I know that this thread has been about books, but this is an interesting clip from TED that may be worthy of discussion: Tony Porter, "A Call to Men" -­

The comments on the lecture are just as worthy of discussion as the talk itself.