Learn the secrets of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and get your site to rank higher in search results. Sure you can hire an expensive SEO firm to do this, but we can teach you some of the basics so you can do some of it yourself.
Join Boston PHP and Greg Hill as we take you through what you ought to know about SEO and how you can do a lot of things now to improve your SEO ranking.
This was our #2 most voted on Meetup Idea!
- All about SEO
- Proper use of HTML tags
- Studying and choosing keywords for your site
- Site URL structure and how you can fix it with ModRewrite
- Improving site navigation
- Use of robots.txt
- Jump starting your site with blogs, social media, and other programs
- Benefits of Webmaster Tools Accounts
- Best practices and tips (what not to do)
While we certainly cant cover all SEO topics, we can cover the basics so you know what the heck your doing.
Bonus Topic (6-7pm): CSS Sprites
CSS sprites have long been used to cut down on load times, but they're also amazingly handy for building dynamic websites. Because the entire sprite is loaded at once, it's possible to swap out elements quickly, confident that the browser already has the image file in memory. And, using a transparent PNG image file and a little clever CSS, it's possible to build up dynamic images that look great and just take a few lines of code.
Topics covered would include:
- Why sprites are a good idea.
- A brief history of sprites, beginning with Mario.
- Designing your sprites in photoshop.
- A brief primer on the relevant CSS.
- Building complicated things out of little pieces.
6:00 - 7:00 : Doors open, socializing, BoothCamp, CSS Sprites
7:00 - 7:15 : Announcements
7:15 - 8:45 : Presentation
8:45 - 9:00 : Questions
9:00 - ???? : Beers somewhere?