Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 11: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Chapter 11: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 445

This space is reserved for updates and questions about Chapter 11 of the book Advanced PHP and Object Oriented Programming being used in the PHP Percolate! Season 5 virtual self-study group.

Thanks,
Tom Pettingill
Senior Percolator

Go to .... Master Discussion List
A former member
Post #: 23
My chapter 11 work is here. I had some permissions issues on the backup script, but the others worked nicely.

Have a nice week everybody.
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 38
Hi Tom. I am turning in Chapter 11 exercises and review. Thank you!
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 487
All looks well Mike and Rick. The homestretch is approaching!
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 488
Chapter 11 Exercises complete. Exercises can be found here.
Tom F.
user 24224922
Ambler, PA
Post #: 65
Finished with Chapter 11 scripts and review questions.
http://www.webhomebas...­

Best regards,
Tom
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 525
One step closer to the end Tom
Gary J.
gmgj
Boston, MA
Post #: 11
Chapter 11 Review, DB Backup and a Form that uses an encrypted password in lieu of set and read mcrypt at Ch11. Cron on Ubuntu prompted me for a choice of 3 editors. I chose nano , which they said was easiest. With the onscreen listing of the commands, it was easy. Once upon a time I used TECO on a PDP 10. That was a hard but powerful editor!
Jeff S.
user 58940692
Boston, MA
Post #: 28
Chapter 11 is done here

Tonight I'm implementing zlib compression library. For like 4 months, I've been using 7-Zip file manager to manually compress/decompress xml files that the program downloads/uploads over to eBay via their API. This has been on my to do list for like 3-4 months. Things kept coming up and I was procrastinating....Now is the time since it's very fresh in my mind and I'm anixious to get this baby done!

I'll post here how it went - crossing my fingers it works as expected.

When the time comes, I want to investigate more into the cron jobs for autobackup of my databases onto another server with another hosting company like an offsite backup. Ah, and maybe have it interface with Dropbox. Anyway, maybe there are alternatives to cron jobs that are better. later this year, I"ll check that out. Right now it doesn't matter, because I"ve got the price update program soley running via xampp on my laptop with autobackups with dropbox and sugarsync and manual backups with major code addtions/modifications... Onto Chapter 12 today/tomorrow after I get that zlib working in my price update program - can't wait! biggrin
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 548
Jeff, it's always great to find immediate applications for the techniques we are studying.