addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 11: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Chapter 11: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 49
Hello Tom and all -

Chapter 11 examples posted. Just follow the Chapter 11 link!

Chapter 11 was pretty much a breeze, especially since I took the time (or was forced to do it with some of the exercises of Chapter 9) to familiarize myself with the login procedures to get into a shell / terminal session on my hosting provider. cURL was available and worked. The mcrypt library was available and enabled. I was able to set up a cron job, but was familiar with that from the past. There were no protection issues with the account, I just had to create the top-level 'backups' directory. But after looking at the review exercises, I moved the backup directory above my web root directory, and modified db_backup accordingly.

I am definitely getting a lot of exposure to PHP in particular, but the experience of setting up a website, and knowing how to work "behind the scenes" is very valuable, I would say!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Ken
cool
Sara L.
user 13146403
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 14
Here is Chapter 11: http://www.saralevy.c...­

I have a good real life use for cron so glad this was included.
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 555
Thanks Ken, after reading your comments I investigated my hostgater account again and found that I can enable sell access with limited capability. I'll have to play with that a little bit.

Excellent work Sara. Both you and Ken are really in the homestretch now!
A former member
Hi Tom,

Here are my chapter 11 exercises:
http://webrigger.com/php_oop/chapter11.php­

Sorry about being late, too much green beer this weekend :-)

Dennis
Brian M.
bmarple
Lunenburg, MA
Post #: 38
Playing catch up here. Chapter 11 done and located here: http://freestone.x10....­
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 563
Good work Dennis and Brian.
Alexander Z.
user 22329501
Boston, MA
Post #: 42
Hello:

Here are my solutions for Chapter 11

Cron jobs are verified on my own Linux box.

Again,
Just another chapter that is hard to overestimate for my ongoing transition from all-Java environment to light-weight solutions where the tasks are not heavy. And it looks like heavy tasks can be handled nicely with the technology described in the Book of current study.

-- Alex
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 569
Looks good to me Alex.
Charles J.
user 13025367
Boston, MA
Finished up with Chapter 11. Had to install Mcrypt on the server - which went smoothly (schwew!). I use Plesk's built in features for managing cron jobs - call it a cop-out, but I don't use all that often - but always good to review the underpinnings.

The work is here

Chuck Johnson
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 571
Nice work Charlie. I really like your reference chart.