addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 14: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Chapter 14: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 495

This space is reserved for updates and questions about Chapter 14 of the book Advanced PHP and Object Oriented Programming being used in the PHP Percolate! Season 5 virtual self-study group.

Thanks,
Tom Pettingill
Senior Percolator

Go to .... Master Discussion List
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 41
This is my submission of the Chapter 14 review. As I wrote earlier, I found Tom to be an excellent Event Host: upbeat, thorough, sympathetic. I thought that the book was a good choice, following on Season 4. Hope to work with you again soon.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,812
@Mike -- Congrats on becoming the first Season 5 graduate and on your attainment of Double Perk! status. Impressive! Thanks also for the kind words about Tom's leadership. We all owe Tom kudos for leading this advanced Percolate! Season. Thank you Mike and Tom.
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 499
Chapter 14 complete, Unfortunately I could only complete the exercises of this chapter on my localhost. Unit testing requires command line capability which I don't have on my ISP. Xdebug I have used for a long time and skipped that section.
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 500
Mike, Congratulations on being the first to finish. I think you felt Rick breathing down your back! Gene, I didn't realize you followed us so closely!
A former member
Post #: 26
Good goin' Mike and Tom!

I have finished Chapter 14, but I wasn't able to host my scripts on my server either.

As I move my PHP Percolate tassel to the left side of my mortarboard, I'll leave you with a couple last comments:

• Tom, thank you so much for volunteering to run this course!

• I really enjoyed the book. I heard Larry Ullman speak at the Boston PHP meeting, and I've got to say I'm a big fan. I can't imagine how long it took to write that book, but he really did a great job with it.

• PHP is a much more sophisticated language than I realized. I really like it.

• I would love it if any fellow Percolators would take the time to endorse PHP for me on LinkedIn. I would be happy to return the favor. I don't work in PHP now but I would like to someday. An endorsement or two may help.

• This has been a wonderful experience for me. I blogged about it here for anybody interested.

Best of luck, everybody. I'll see you all at the NERD.

- Rick
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,826
@Rick -- Congrats on becoming the third finisher of Season 5. You are now immortalized on the Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment.

@Tom -- Quad Perk! status. Humble of you not to include your name in the weekly updates of Top Percolators. Your impressive accomplishment has not gone unnoticed.
Larry U.
user 57195822
Boston, MA
Post #: 18
I really enjoyed the book. I heard Larry Ullman speak at the Boston PHP meeting, and I've got to say I'm a big fan. I can't imagine how long it took to write that book, but he really did a great job with it.

PHP is a much more sophisticated language than I realized. I really like it.

Thanks for the nice words, Rick. I'm glad that you liked the book and thanks for coming out to see me in Boston. It wasn't really a question, but I think the book took 3+ months to do. It was the third edition, which makes things much easier, but mostly it's possible because I don't have a day job! Anyway, thanks again.

As for PHP, I've been using PHP for 13+ years. I know there are cycles where people criticize the language. I tend not to get bogged down in that because PHP is great for what I need to do. What more can you ask for?

My thanks, too, to Tom, everyone at Boston PHP, and to the PHP Percolate! Season 5 attendees. I'm honored that you've used my book, it's great to hear that people are learning, and getting a wide range of feedback makes me a better writer.

Cheers!
Tom F.
user 24224922
Ambler, PA
Post #: 68
Finished Chapter 14 -- http://www.webhomebas...­

Excellent book and senior percolator! This was a nice blend of introductory OOP concepts, advanced theories and PHP related technologies. I found chapters 7 (Design Patterns) and 9 (CMS with OOP) extremely beneficial. The "Review" questions helped reinforce the concepts by forcing you to re-read the material and investigate supplementary online resources. I plan to work through all the chapters again and work through the "Pursue" exercises this time (especially chapters 7 and 9).

I'd like to see a JavaScript session in the future that uses Larry's "Modern JavaScript, Develop and Design" book which uses the same instructional format -- chapter materials with a Review Questions and Pursue Exercises at the end of each chapter.

Best regards --
See you next time, whenever --
Tom
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 539
Congratulations on becoming the fourth Season 5 graduate. At some point I plan to revisit this text and do at least some of the pursue exercises. I've been looking at Larry's Modern Javascript book and may present it to Gene as a good choice for a future season.