Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 14: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Chapter 14: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Jeff S.
user 58940692
Boston, MA
Post #: 32
Finished Chapter 14 here

I would like to thank Tom and the others that put this together. This has been an awesome learning experience for me.

Thanks goes too, for all the others here learning just like me.

And lastly, thank you Larry for imparting your knowledge/skills on Advanced PHP. We all really appreciate your sharing.

What else? Well, then...onto "The Yii Book" by Larry Ullman

Happy Coding To All! biggrin

Oh, one last thing: if you really want to program with PHP/MySQL and it's just not making sense, don't worry, it will come to you. It took me 1.5 years to get to this stage. I would HIGHLY recommend learning the Yii PHP Framework ASAP! I learned it 1 year ago even though I had no clue about OOP, no clue!! But because of Larry greatly recommending the Yii framework, I dove head first into that baby and it's really paid off in that I have built an eBay price update program that updates prices on 8000 listings via eBay's API with XML as the transport of data per eBay's specs.

I better end now, rather than get too wordy - we are all pressed for time. Wow, I feel very good about completing this. Can't help to express how good I feel right now.

Edit: one last, last comment. For those that are interested about TDD, check out what Ray and his group are doing with Zurmo build upon Yii PHP Framework and TDD here: http://www.phpclasses...­

"In order to accomplish our goal, we decided to bite the bullet and sweat it out with Test Driven Development - TDD.

Zurmo is written in PHP and utilizes jQuery, the Yii Framework, and RedBeanPHP. With 1700+ unit tests running across eight server configurations, Zurmo is built with a passion for software engineering best practices."
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 558
Congratulations Jeff on becoming the latest graduate of PHP Percolate Season 5! Once you got going you may have set a new record for completing the book.
Jeff S.
user 58940692
Boston, MA
Post #: 33
Thanks Tom - yeah, I got a fire lit under me because of the power of the group or something. I'm doing same thing with Larry's Yii book now and MySQL - once again, thanks so much!
Gary J.
gmgj
Boston, MA
Post #: 14
Here is my ch14 review. Big thanks to My Ullman , Mr Pettingill and Mr Babon for making this happen. Thanks to my fellow percolates. Seen somewhere. Give a man a program, frustrate him for a day, teach him to code, frustrate him for life .
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 565
Congratulation Gary on becoming the latest graduate to Season 5!
Sara L.
user 13146403
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 19
Just finished chapter 14 - really enjoyed playing around with Xdebug and profiling.

Thanks Tom for running this Virtual Study Group. It gave me the needed push to get through the book and I really enjoyed the entire experience.
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 573
Congratulations Sara for becoming our latest finisher. I know how hard it is to work one of these books to completion!
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 53
Hello fellow PHP Percolators!

Finito!

I didn't try to run these things on the webhost site, but I uploaded some screenshots of running PHPUnit tests on my local machine, and a shot of the Webgrind webpage also from my local machine. Please follow the link for Chapter 14 results.

I would also offer my thanks to Tom, and Gene (and BostonPHP) for providing this forum for learning. With a lot of experience doing various software projects over the years, it was not always necessary to look for help, but what this provides is a great motivator and platform to learn new things and extend knowledge where things aren't necessarily "new". It is hard to choose a place to dig in and learn some new technology, and I appreciate the help in setting some direction and goals to get through a book. I'm sure that it's just scratching the surface of all that there is to know about PHP and web development, but it definitely provided good exposure to a lot of new things.

Thanks to you folks for doing what you're doing - I encourage more efforts along these lines and look forward to participating in more of them. (Also getting back to the JQuery Mobile book! biggrin )

And thanks to Larry for providing a very useful book with a good amount of depth on these topics, and a springboard to getting into newer related topics. Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to more fun and exciting learning in the future!

Ken
Benjamin
bentley47
London, GB
Post #: 1
Congratulation to all! I'm just starting to learn html5 first.
A former member
Post #: 17
Hi Tom,

I've just completed my Chapter 14 exercises. I did them on the localhost and then took pics of the successful outputs. You can see them here: http://webrigger.com/...­

This is the first time that I've taken a class like this and I really enjoyed the quality of the book and it's exercises and the weekly learning process!

Thank you for all your help in making this happen! It was really wonderful...

Cheers,

Dennis