addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 14: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Chapter 14: PHP Percolate! Season 5

Alexander Z.
user 22329501
Boston, MA
Post #: 46
Hello:

Completed the Chapter 14th samples.
Will use debugging and (probably) the unit testing for the app that I am working on using the Chapter 9 template.

Very helpful book. Perhaps, the code samples for standard set of value types for QuickForms2 would be handy. For instance, I am having hard time finding date picker code example for the latest QuickForms release. But it's hard to fit everything in one single book.

-- Alex
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 575
Alex, I think we all spend a lot of time on google or equivalent looking for solutions. Congratulations on becoming the latest to finish the course!
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 576
Congratulations Dennis on reaching the finish line@@
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 577
Congratulations Ken!!!
Bob H.
BobHickey
Dedham, MA
Post #: 51
Chapter 14 complete: http://frogonadog.bye...­
Was able to exercise the scripts locally.

Thanks Tom and Gene for your support. I think I have a firmer grasp on OOP now and on some of the aspects of site design, directory set up, and security concerns.
I really enjoy the format and hope I can jump on the next Percolate and maybe a Javascript or JQuery program.
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 582
Congratulations on becoming the latest Season 5 graduate Bob!
Alexander Z.
user 22329501
Boston, MA
Post #: 47
About recommended Yii PHP framework.
(hectic notes and questions)

Book:
http://yii.larryullma...­
Will it be available in non-PDF format (kindle-friendly) when the final release is cut?

Session:
Is it possible to start Yii classes before the Yii book http://yii.larryullma...­ is completed?
The book has enough chapters to start the session at this time.

Yii with IDEs:
Coincidentally, the Netbeans just got (4 days ago) a working Plugin. The plugin installation and project creation with Netbeans is a breeze now (Well - according to my 1 - 1.5 hrs "experience" with Yii)

Quick peek at Yii documentation and Yii book content:
I understand that it's impossible to fit everything into one single book, but the table of content does not have any reference to the creation of mobile-friendly applications. The Yii has functional features that help you building device-sensitive web sites. Perhaps, small example for mobilizing the web sites would be helpful.

-- Alex

Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 583
Alex, this would be a good one for Larry to comment on!
Charles J.
user 13025367
Boston, MA
Post #: 17
Like a marathoner finishing a week late, but ahead of the folks running from Hopkinton on Monday - I've crossed the finish line of Percolate season 5. Schwew... chapter 14 review here.

It was fairly gratifying experience for something pursued largely in solitude. Having deadlines, schedules and even a touch of accountability made it a much more serious endeavor than the simple of purchase of an interesting technology book that 'I'll get around to'eventually...

The range of topics filled holes in my self-taught PHP world - and primed me to address some of the projects already on my plate. Great stuff.

I'd like to seek out Larry at some point and get thoughts on a list of sample "real world practical examples" of each chapter's focus and why the concepts might be used over some other approaches in the programming/web world. While there are many (if not infinite!) ways to approach a given problem- there are probably many examples where the chapter's material has solved problems that a "student" is completely unaware of due to lack of experience in the topics being taught. Larry, if your open to this, let's connect.

See you all at the next Boston PHP. Congrats to all who saw this through.

Sincerely,

Chuck Johnson
Tom P.
tompsubs
Merrimac, MA
Post #: 584
Congratulations to you for seeing it through Charlie! I think you will find Larry to be very approachable. Did you get to see him when gave a talk at BostonPHP?