Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 06: jQuery jAM, Season 3

Chapter 06: jQuery jAM, Season 3

Dave K.
davk
Boston, MA
Post #: 98
The contents of the file were (language or utility would be interesting to know):

Options -Indexes
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} .*google.*$ [NC,OR]

@James,

The file was an .htaccess file. It is not a "browser-based" file, but it is located in the same directories as your web page html files. Often these files are hidden from FTP programs, making them easy to miss.

The content of the file includes configuration commands for the Apache server. The commands located in the file are processed by the server before your html pages are sent to a user's browser. There are many uses for .htaccess files such as password protecting directories, shortening urls, and customizing error pages. Unfortunately you saw the results when a hacker places a malicious .htaccess file on your server.

More information here:
http://en.wikipedia.o...­
http://httpd.apache.o...­
Dave K.
davk
Boston, MA
Post #: 99

In other news; after 2 years of working with jQuery/JavaScript I can not land a junior consulting job. The questions I'm asked do not seem to part of the syllabus. They seem to be simple questions that are not addressed in the texts; such as coding efficiency (e.g. for loops as opposed to while loops; wait for page or proceed before download of image content, etc.). I think some of these issues are context related when you see a particular application - not on the fly solutions that I can address with the Percolate solutions.

Any suggestions?

@James,

Books, classes, and tutorials that cover JQuery and Javascript just teach you how to use the tools. That's only the first step for employment. You need to understand the Percolate solutions, but then you need to try applying them to other applications. Think of people applying for a woodworking job. They obviously need training in the tools (power tools, hand tools), but employers really want to know what they can build.

After JQuery Jam your next step should be adding real JQuery features to real webpages. Make up your own project ideas if you need some. Start with a nice template or save a static webpage from one of the companies where you applied for work. Add slideshows, lightboxes, drop-down menus, animation, JQuery UI widgets, a JQuery mobile site version. Integrate a webservice using Javascript, JQuery, and Ajax. Try using plugins, and modify them with custom Javascript code to match features you've seen on other websites.

Read the JQuery documentation. Scan message boards to find out about real world coding problems and how people solve them. Try solving them yourself.

If you don't have a background in computer programming, I think it is also essential to learn computer science. Try Coursera's free Computer Science 101 class.

Have persistence and don't give up! I've seen many of my past students break into the field so it can be done with continued effort working on the next steps.
Elmuiz
user 4735319
Boston, MA
Post #: 9
:) Chapter 6 exercise :P
http://www.elmuiz.net...­
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,989
@Elmuiz -- Nice work. One minor tweak to consider. See Bob's fix to the jquery.color.js script.
Elmuiz
user 4735319
Boston, MA
Post #: 10
@Bob, Thanks for bringing up the bug. and the fix.
@Gene, fixed the js file, My question is, the bug was only affecting the color of the sliding dashboard?
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,994
@Elmuiz -- Correct, a minor color correction tweak.
May T.
user 12889701
Manchester, GB
Post #: 15
Finish Chapter 6 Chapter 6 Exercises
@ Bob, to show us the js file mistake
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,997
@May -- Nice work. Nice catch on fixing the color.js issue.
Leslie G.
user 76661142
Boston, MA
Post #: 8
Chapter 6 Tutorials and examples complete. Removed jQuery from jquery.color.js per @Bob , however still have white background.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,013
@Leslie -- Very nice work. Lotsa good stuff here. Also, I like your website presentation.