addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 10: jQuery jAM, Season 3

Chapter 10: jQuery jAM, Season 3

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,003
@David -- Thanks for the updates. Submit errata.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,025
Chapter 10 -- complete.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,026
Bonus: Check out 15+ Tooltip jQuery Plugins compliments of jQuery jAM | Tutorials.
Rick H.
RickHeller
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 14
Chapter 10

Tabs

Tooltip

Slider, with slight modifications. I had to make all the file and folder names lower case as my server or ftp was not honoring camelCase.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,034
@Rick -- Nice work. Minor tweak: "Another tooltip" is not positioning properly. Check out yours vs. mine.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 67
Hello Gene and all jammers -

I posted the work for Chapter 10 to my site. Follow the Chapter 10 links - and thanks for visiting!

Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,043
@Ken -- Very nice work. Getting into the challenging stuff now.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 29
@Gene...Just finished another "Retro" page... Thought I'd share & let you critique it... incorporates anything slider, fancy box, responsive multilevel tutorial, Filemaker for the database and Filemaker PHP API...

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,044
@David -- Kudos for experimentation. I tend to take a minimalist view of this stuff: less is better.
Gary J.
gmgj
Boston, MA
Post #: 27
I have diverged from the book with my home work this week.

see Chapter 10

I did accordion tabs for a miscellaneous menu I was working on, instead of the book tabs. I show the slider from my personal home page that is another jQuery slide anything widget. The automatic slideshow presented in the book was pretty cool. I put tooltips on my portfolio page on the links at the bottom of the page.

Restyling the jQuery ui menu to accommodate a longer menu item was a challenge.
I tried restyling the descendants like ul li ul li, I tried ul li ul li a etc. I had some luck with the following
I don't think I would have figured out you can do descendants like this if not for the challenge of the menu

.ui-menu {
width: 200px;
}
.ui-menu .ui-menu {
width: 600px;
}

I wish I could have read this 10 years ago. The section "Determining the Size and Position of Page Elements" was great. I now have to go and lookup how this relates to This article

I think I will be using this imagePosition = $('# captionImage'). offset(); frequently.