Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 15: jQuery jAM, Season 3

Chapter 15: jQuery jAM, Season 3

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,921

Welcome to the Chapter 15 discussion area for jQuery jAM, Season 3. Please read the chapter, complete the tutorials and post a link to your completed work. Then, let your fellow jAMmers know how you are progressing by clicking the Add a reply link.

Return to >> Master Discussion List
Bob H.
BobHickey
Dedham, MA
Post #: 68
Chapter 15 complete: http://frogonadog.bye...­
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 1,985
@Bob -- Congrats on being the first to cross the finish line ... and the 32nd jQuery jAM finisher overall ... and the fifth Triple Perk!
Gary J.
gmgj
Boston, MA
Post #: 32
see ch15 On slashdot last week the bottom tag line was, "Never underestimate the power of a debug print statement". Sometimes, when debugging loops, its a lot easier to log a line to see where it goes than it is to try and step through every iteration. Alert statements don't cut it. console.log is okay; however, I use the a simpler approach. I put a line of html; like this <p id="myOP"> </p> on the page running the script

and then I use the appendInnerHTML function below (2 lines of code) to write a line to the html page.
You can use any html you want in appendInnerHTML . I find it useful to use <br> to separate things by line.

This has been fun, thanks to all.
Praise the god of all, drink the wine, let the world be the world. -French proverb

<script type="text/javascript">

appendInnerHTML = function (idin, myHTML) {
var myE= document.getElementById(idin);
myE.innerHTML = myE.innerHTML + myHTML;
}

function myShowSomeOutput() {
appendInnerHTML("myOP",'<­BR>' + 'I am a sentence');
}
</script>
</head>

<body>
<pre>Never Underestimate the debugging power of a print statement</pre>
<button title='ShowSomeOutput' onclick='myShowSomeOutput()'>myShowSo­meOutput </button>
<p id="myOP"> </p>
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,082
@Gary -- Congrats on being the second participant to cross the finish line this season ... and the 33rd jQuery jAM finisher overall ... and the 16th Double Perk! for completing two virtual self-study groups.
Rick H.
RickHeller
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 19
Chapter 15 console

Chapter 15 debugger

Thanks for doing this, Gene! This will be very helpful in my work.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 38
@Gene...Thanks much for the guidance and incentive.... Javascript and jQuery always looked like a very difficult language to comprehend.... this event and the missing manual have made the Javascript and jQuery much easier to understand and especially use.........looking forward to the next jam you percolate...Chapter 15complete.....
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,101
@Rick @David -- Congrats on becoming the third and fourth participants to cross the finish line this season ... and the 34th and 35th jQuery jAM finishers overall. Your efforts have been enshrined on The Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,123
Chapter 15 -- complete.
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 64
Hi Gene. I have completed the Chapter 15 exercises.

That is great news about Season 6 and "PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites." I will talk it up here. I was along for the "PHP Advanced and OOP" ride earlier this year and although I appreciate the goals, it was a stretch coming from an intro level.

Gene, I appreciate what a fine job you have done as host of jAM 3. Thanks for staying so positive and I hope we can all do it again.