Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 05: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 05: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Judy V.
user 52789062
Boston, MA
Post #: 14
Hi Gene,
I have completed Chapter 5. I used phpMyAdmin to create the database, table and perform the query commands. This was a great refresher chapter. Looking forward to chapter 6!
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,322
@Judy -- Nice work. Full speed ahead.
James B.
user 13861667
Spring City, PA
Post #: 115
@Mike -- Nice work.
@Peter -- Enjoyed reading your terminal printout.
http://papermillmansi...­
Gene, I have to groan on that one - it brings up too many memories!

Taking my time hoping to find things in MySQL that I have not used before and exploring so these chapters are taking more time. Loaded the database but using the phpMySQL interface.

Sill - has anyone the digital version to copy the questions?

I did not do screen shots but might do as special feature later.

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,339
@James -- Take your time and explore. You are ahead of schedule. Enjoy.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 78
Hello everyone -
I always enjoy going through the postings and review of everyone's work. It helps to keep the motivation going to get through chapter by chapter. Even though this was review in a lot of ways, it is always good to go back and get the fundamentals, and apply recent experiences to better understand the material. Larry's explanations are very good!

My effort to show for this chapter is another posting of the "Review" questions on my website. Follow the Chapter 5 link!

Thanks for the great learning environment - keep up the great work Gene and everyone!

Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,355
@Ken -- Very nice work. Thanks for the encouragement. Teamwork!
David D.
DaveDoyle
Boston, MA
Post #: 7
Chapter 5 complete!
http://www.jmerrikin....­
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,365
@David -- Good work on the databases stuff.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 81
Someone asked if someone could post the text of the questions - I hope that this is okay to do this, I can access the book thru the Safari Online site, accessible through my library. Here are the Chapter 5 questions if you want to be able to cut and paste them into an answer sheet.

Review (for Chapter 5)
=====

What version of MySQL are you using? If you don’t know, find out now!

What SQL command is used to make a new database? What command is used to make a new table in a database?

What SQL command is used to select the database with which you want to work?

What SQL commands are used for adding records to a table? Hint: There are multiple options.

What types of values must be quoted in queries? What types of values shouldn’t be quoted?

What does the asterisk in SELECT * FROM tablename mean? How do you restrict which columns are returned by a query?

What does the NOW( ) function do?

How do you restrict which rows are returned by a query?

How do LIKE and NOT LIKE differ from simple equality comparisons? Which type of comparison will be faster? What are the two LIKE and NOT LIKE wildcard characters?

How do you affect the sorting of the returned records? What is the default sorting method? How do you inverse the sort? What is the syntax for sorting by multiple columns?

What does the LIMIT clause do? How does LIMIT x differ from LIMIT x, y?

What SQL command is used to change the values already stored in a table? How do you change multiple columns at once? How do you restrict to which rows the changes are applied?

What SQL command is used to delete rows stored in a table? How do you restrict to which rows the deletions are applied?

What is an SQL alias? How do you create one? Why is an alias useful?

Pursue
=====

If you haven’t done so already, bookmark the version of the MySQL manual that matches the version of MySQL you are running.

Go through each of the step sequences in this chapter again, coming up with your own queries to execute (that demonstrate similar concepts as those in the steps).

Check out the MySQL manual pages for operators used in conditionals.

Check out the MySQL manual pages for some of MySQL’s functions.

Create, populate, and manipulate your own table of data.

Do some more practice using functions and aliases.

Check out the MySQL manual pages for the various date and time types. Also check out ADDDATE( ) and other date-related functions.

(end of list)

PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide, Fourth Edition
By: Larry Ullman
Publisher: Peachpit Press
Pub. Date: September 13, 2011
Print ISBN-10: 0-321-78407-3
Print ISBN-13: 978-0-321-78407-0
Web ISBN-10: 0-13-276757-0
Web ISBN-13: 978-0-13-276757-6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,368
@Ken -- You've earned a Silver Percolator for Commitment to Teamwork.