Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 06: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 06: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,356
@Judy -- Nice work. Nice presentation. Good job staying out in front.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 79
Interesting chapter on database design - I got through it, set up the databases on my localhost and my web provider to be ready for the coming chapters. I went through the review questions and attempted to answer them - click here to go to my site, follow the link for Chapter 6. A lot of info to digest and it will be good to put it into practice as the session moves on.

Thanks -
Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,366
@Ken -- This chapter is a set up for The Big Score.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 80
Thanks, Gene!

If anyone wants a raw listing of the Chapter 6 Review Questions to cut and paste into your own work sheet - I'll paste the list here from the online book (accessible thru my library)

Review (questions for Chapter 6)

Why is normalization important?

What are the two types of keys?

What are the three types of table relationships?

How do you fix the problem of a many-to-many relationship between two tables?

What are the four types of indexes? What general types of columns should be indexed? What general types of columns should not be indexed?

What are the two most common MySQL table types? What is the default table type for your MySQL installation?

What is a character set? What is a collation? What impact does the character set have on the database? What impact does the collation have? What character set and collation are you using?

What is UTC? How do you find the UTC time in MySQL? How do you convert from UTC to another time zone’s time?

What are foreign key constraints? What table type supports foreign key constraints?

(end of question list)
PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide, Fourth Edition
By: Larry Ullman
Publisher: Peachpit Press
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,369
@Ken -- You've earned a Silver Percolator for Commitment to Teamwork.
David D.
DaveDoyle
Boston, MA
Post #: 8
@Gene
Chapter 6 done!
http://www.jmerrikin....­

This newbie is feeling like a sponge. I am really enjoying this wealth of new knowledge.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,372
@David -- Rockin' it!
Ashlie
user 4442959
Somerville, MA
Post #: 11
chapter 6 done. i tried to create a database schema using workbench. I went through multiple ways to organize the data and still feel it could be normalized another level.. but here it is...
percolate.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,411
@Ashlie -- Impressive! Silver Percolator - worthy!!
Fred T.
user 71205162
Gloucester, MA
Post #: 29