Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 11: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 11: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,401

Welcome to the Chapter 11 discussion area for PHP Percolate! Season 6. Please read the chapter, complete the tutorials and post a link to your completed work. Then, let your fellow percolators know how you are progressing by clicking the Add a reply link.

Return to >> Master Discussion List
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 82
cannot figure this one out....ch 11 popup window(show_image.php)...I am getting the following error on the pop up window..."The Image...link to image location...cannot be displayed because it contains errors".....cannot find where error is....baffled..
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 83
@Gene...Found Error..it was on the show_image.php page...Ch11 complete.....Thank you Chief...C 2nd Picture.....love struck....

AS the ...Sun Sets...on to chapter 12....shock
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,421
@David -- Really good work here. Nice job.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 87
I just started working on this chapter, but found a "gotcha" that might be helpful to let people know about.

I was trying to get the 'email.php' response form working on my website, and found that it would not send the email. I was looking at various sources for some help, and found out that the problem that seemed to be affecting my ability to send mail was described in a stackoverflow question. The problem, at least in my case, is that I could send an email directly from a php script that did not include a "From:" address, a default was provided (and one can be set up in the php.ini file.) The possible solutions in that stackoverflow question were that emailing might not work if the "From:" address is not an address in the same domain that it is being sent from. (This seems like a good way to prevent spam or spoofing email addresses.) I don't know if there was a way to enable sending emails from random addresses, but I didn't really care to try it. And just removing that additional parameter from the 'mail' function call solves the problem and gets the email moving!

To capture the information that was filled into the form, I made a slight modification to my email.php script to take the "From:" address and just include it as an addendum to the message text. It would be a slight inconvenience for replying to the message, but that is not a concern at this point in time.

Just thought I would post this in case it helps anyone who experiences this problem with the script 'email.php' and their web provider.

Ken
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 77
Hi Gene. Here are the chapter eleven exercises and review.

Like Ken, I have had trouble with mail() and folks may want to explore it here in chap 11. Because when you get to chapter 18, you cannot get that exercise to start unless you can successfully pitch and catch an email. Whether you use a Xampp platform or an ISP, you will see that the message boards and Larry's blog are filled with people reporting different mail() roadblocks, and there is no one solution. A lot of sites just shoot down anything resembling spam. Finally got it to work on one of my two ISPs. Thanks!
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,424
@Mike -- Nice work. Thanks for the heads up and for pointing out the pot holes in the road.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 89
Howdy percolators!
I just finished and posted the Chapter 11 exercises on my website. As usual, follow the links for the chapter 11 section.

On to Chapter 12!!!

Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,428
@Ken -- Nice work.
Judy V.
user 52789062
Boston, MA
Post #: 21
Here is my completed work up to and including chapter 11

This was a great chapter with a lot of very useful information!