addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 12: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 12: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,429

Welcome to the Chapter 12 discussion area for PHP Percolate! Season 6. Please read the chapter, complete the tutorials and post a link to your completed work. Then, let your fellow percolators know how you are progressing by clicking the Add a reply link.

Return to >> Master Discussion List
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 88
@Gene...chp12...completecool.... I just noticed I forgot to link sessions login and revised logins to new logout page I created will fix tonight
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 78
Hi Gene. Here are the chapter twelve exercises and review. Thanks!
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,433
@Mike -- Important functionality. Job well done.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 89
Fixed
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,435
@David -- Good job.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 90
Chapter 12 work has been posted. Interesting chapter and nice example site. I did a little extra work to make it be a requirement that the user logs in to be able to use the "View Users" page and "Change Password" page. It wasn't too hard once I understood how it worked, but rather than just copy those PHP scripts and not make any changes to them, it seemed like a good feature.

Thanks for all of the followup and checking on the work, Gene! It certainly must keep you hopping!

Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,439
@Ken -- Nice work. Nice extra touch. You'll use the code in this chapter over and over again on future projects. The follow up and checking keeps me dancing!
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 90
I added another if statement in the header navigation so it can be used for cookies and sessions login...."if((isset($_SESSION['user­_id'])) && (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) != 'logout.php'))" to check if user logged in from session page....if yes then login-sessions changes to "logout-sessions" and user taken to script 12_10_logout page to destroy sessions...

did not want to take up another post space...so adding to this one here...
If anyone uses Filemaker...here is a great tutorial on connecting Filemaker to MySQL...Examplecool
Judy V.
user 52789062
Boston, MA
Post #: 22
Here is my work up to and including chapter 12

For the Session work - to get the header file to show logout once you are logged in you need to edit header.html to say - if ( isset($_SESSION['user_id']) )

This was stated in the tip on page 395, but unless I missed it, this step was not covered in the step-by-step directions.

This is intended to be a helpful point out on a typo for future versions of the book, not intended to be nit-picky: page 386 on the left column in the highlighted code the [ is missing in front of user_id - it is shown on the right column.

Only seven more chapters to go!