Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 17: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 17: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,481

Welcome to the Chapter 17 discussion area for PHP Percolate! Season 6. Please read the chapter, complete the tutorials and post a link to your completed work. Then, let your fellow percolators know how you are progressing by clicking the Add a reply link.

Return to >> Master Discussion List
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 98
@Gene...Chp17...complete
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 84
Hi Gene. Here are the chapter 17 exercises and review. I expanded on the book exercise and required a register/login. Use Troutser and Password. No email confirmation required. I had enough of that in chap 18. Thanks!
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,495
@David @Mike -- Good job. Mike, I especially like your enhanced version. Also, edit the username above to match the one on your website.
Judy V.
user 52789062
Boston, MA
Post #: 27
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,531
@Judy -- Nice work. The finish line is in sight.
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 97
Posting the exercises for Chapter 17. Not too many additions, I played around with a background on the site page, just thought it would be a little different. Nicer than a huge white screen!

Have a great week/weekend everyone!
Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,562
@Ken -- Nice work, as always. The sleigh bells sill ring if you can bring it on home before Santa arrives.
Peter P.
Peter_Phelps
Bonita Springs, FL
Post #: 29
@Gene:

Chapter 17 results:
http://www.peterphelp...­

Unfortunately, the dates do not work. I am checking in with my hosting service to see if the MySQL version includes a full list of time zones. When I hear back, I will adjust accordingly, if possible.

Tough chapter, but it shows a lot more of what is possible.
Started dreaming a little bit on how it all fits if it had login/logout, some validation, etc. They say that you have to really think in a language if you want to learn it.
Peter P.
Peter_Phelps
Bonita Springs, FL
Post #: 31
@Gene:

My hosting company is SUPER and fixed the MySQL, accordingly, with the following:

Peter,

I had to import the server timezone data into MySQL:
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql mysql

This isn't done by MySQL or cPanel by default so I would not *expect* this to work automatically on any server. I have done it now on Jasmine for you but if you move servers it will need to be performed on whatever server you're moved to or your code will break.

Ultimately I'd suggest doing the timezone conversion in PHP, as that will always work, and *then* passing the appropriate data to MySQL rather than relying on MySQL for this due to it not being configured by default.

SELECT CONVERT_TZ(CURTIME(),'US/Eastern','UTC');­
+-------------------------------------­-----+
| CONVERT_TZ(CURTIME(),'US/Eastern','UTC')­ |
| 2010-05-25 04:00:00 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Thank you,

Michael Denney
MDDHosting - Professional Hosting
http://www.mddhosting...­
Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/MD...­