Boston PHP Message Board › Chapter 19: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 19: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,483

Welcome to the Chapter 19 discussion area for PHP Percolate! Season 6. Please read the chapter, complete the tutorials and post a link to your completed work. Then, let your fellow percolators know how you are progressing by clicking the Add a reply link.

Return to >> Master Discussion List
Mike M.
SeabrookMLM
Seabrook, NH
Post #: 82
Hi Gene. Here is Chapter 19 exercises and review.
I expanded on the book example to require you to register. Prior to that, you can still browse the store.
When you Register and log in, the menu changes to enable you to buy stuff (add-to-cart appears). You can also view your current cart as well as previous purchases.

Second, I put up a different interface to the DB only for administrators, who can go in and wreck any of the tables. Borrowed heavily from Chapter 10.

Obviously, I loved this example from Larry and feel that I have learned a lot from this with his and your help. Thanks so much.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,498
@Mike -- Impressive. Congrats on being at the head of the class!
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 101
@The_Chief_Percolator...Thanks much for the guidance, inspiration and dedication...It is greatly appreciated!cool
Gene and Larry(Fantastic author) are great technological...asse­ts...

...Chp19...
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,500
@David -- LOVE The Bat Computer. Congrats on becoming the second finisher in Season 6 and the 58th alumnus of PHP Percolate!
Judy V.
user 52789062
Boston, MA
Post #: 29
Hi Gene - here is my completed work - up to and including chapter 19.

Thank you for all of the time you put in leading this course and making this learning experience available. - Judy
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,552
@Judy -- Congrats on becoming the third percolator to complete Season 6. You have been enshrined on the Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment as PHP Percolate! inductee #59. You are now an official Double Perk!
Ken H.
Ken_H.
Boston, MA
Post #: 104
I'm working on Chapter 19, and noticing some problems with the add_artist.php step - the first thing is that the page has a header "Add a Print", that is easily remedied in the code.

A more serious problem appears to be a shortcoming in the way that MySQL handles NULL values with respect to generating a unique index value. If there is a NULL value in the columns used to generate the unique index, it is not prevented from creating additional entries for the same input. So if you leave one of either the first or middle name fields blank on the "Add an Artist" form, it will make multiple entries, one for each time you submit the form. (This is apparently a bug in MySQL, at least there seem to be bug reports related to this.)

I modified my add_artist.php script to first check that the entry that is being made doesn't exist in the database, and if it does, it will report a message that the artist already exists in the database.

This is just early information in case anyone is working on this chapter - it seems that some of the posted work exhibits these problems, as well, so I know that it's not something that I'm doing incorrectly.

Ken
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,567
@Ken -- Good observation, feedback and workaround. Thanks for the heads up.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 109
Since finishing I have combined ch17 and ch18 and added to them to create...this...feel free to sign up, play around and comment.....I have not completed and is a work in progress.....cool