The Toronto Boston Terrier Meetup Group Message Board › Aging (12yo) BT with great hair loss

Aging (12yo) BT with great hair loss

A former member
Post #: 1
Our 12 year old BT has so many hair loss patches. He had Demedex as a puppy and about a year ago at age 11 tested positive again. He had two series of dipping and about 4 rounds of antibiotics...we have spent so much money and the dr. can not give us an answer. He has hair loss patches on his head and hind legs and his feet. His feet are another story all together. They are red and swollen and his nails are extremely brittle. I do not know where else to turn...any suggestions...
Buster is older than our children and I know he has several good years left.

Thanks
Megan and Meko
MeganMeko
Toronto, ON
Post #: 18
Has your vet done a blood screening on him? There could be other things going on with him.
Kelly
btccr
Nottawa, ON
Post #: 81
Has your vet done a blood screening on him? There could be other things going on with him.

Exactly my thoughts. I would wonder about an immune disorder, and would definitely have him checked for Cushing's disease.

"Cushing's disease usually strikes older dogs with a bucket-full of symptoms that can mimic other diseases. Increased appetite, increased drinking and urination, panting, high blood pressure, bulging abdomen, skin lumps and discoloring, hair loss, muscle weakness, and nervous system disorders can occur with the disease."

These are just some of the symptoms -- not all dogs are affected by all of them.

Kelly
Megan and Meko
MeganMeko
Toronto, ON
Post #: 19
I was also concerned about Cushing's. Is the hair loss bilateral (equal on each side)? That's one of the symptoms.
A former member
Post #: 2
His hair loss is not equal on both sides. I need to take him to get more blood work drawn. I took a break from all the vet visits because of the 2 different sets of dipping for the demedectic(sp) mange. He is so nervouse and that really took it out of him. His skin does seem to get better when I bathe hime with an anti-fungal/ anti-bacterial shampoo. I wonder if it is some kind of fungus. Thanks for all the input.