The North Suburban Chicago Freethinkers Meetup Group Message Board › Chicago Atheists & Agnostics

Chicago Atheists & Agnostics

CJ B.
user 11482747
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
I just recently found this website and am happy to see that there are so many freethinkers in the area. I have slowly become more and more focused on the needs of the atheistic community in the Chicago area, or rather, the apparent lack of community in the area, so I'm excited to find that communities do in fact exist in this area, even if they exist under my radar.

But I'd like to begin taking these communities from existing under the radar of people like me and elevating them to something more profound. The one fault I find in the freethought community, at large, is that there is little organization; the strength of any community comes from its ability to organize itself into something coherent and comprehensive. This group has, I believe 180 members, I saw another with 80, mine currently has about 30 some. But I'll be damned if there's but 300 freethinkers out of the 5 million plus people in this area.

If we can simply network, get the word out, and build upon our foundations, we can become a significant part of this community. So, I would love for any Chicagoland residents or natives to join us, in that we may begin finding
ways to interact, to communicate, to organize, to offer support, to offer charity and to build & maintain a society where we can be open about our position and free of religious pressure. Right now, this idea is merely a Facebook fan page which you can find here:

http://www.facebook.c...­

I have also created a Facebook group, but I believe the fan page will be a better way for us all to communicate. Now, please here me, I do not wish to supersede this atheist group or any other atheist fan page, but I did want to make sure that the greater Chicagoland area, as a community, had a specific designation. In fact, I think that every city should have it's own atheist network, but I so happen to live in Chicago, hence my page is dedicated to the needs of my neighborhood.

It starts with a fan page, but, with persistence and will, it can become a fountain of secular guidance and a spring of evidential truth.
CJ B.
user 11482747
Chicago, IL
Post #: 8
Chicago Atheists & Agnostics is looking for a catchy weblink to our page. Currently, the link is a mouthful:

http://www.facebook.c...­

If anyone can come up with something simpler, I'd like to hear of it! And if I like it, I'll send you a copy of Richard Dawkin's, "The God Delusion."

Three rules to win:

1. You must be a member of the Chicago Atheists & Agnostics fan page (use the link above to quickly find the page).
2. You must live within 100 miles of Chicago (that's basically the distance between Chi-town and Milwaukee).
3. You must start a discussion from the Discussion tab entitled: "The Chicago A&A Link Should Be" and then include your idea in the title.

Now, as far as the link is concerned: it obviously starts with "www.facebook.com/" but you don't need to worry about including the domain name, just your idea; for example, instead of writing out "The Chicago A&A Link Should Be www.facebook.com/ChicagoAA," just write "The Chicago A&A Link Should Be ChicagoAA." I'll infer the rest. And as a note, I'm not thrilled with ChicagoAA because I do not wish to confuse people into thinking we're an Alcoholic's Anonymous group.

A decision on the winner will be made at the end of March. At that point, the winner can email me their address and I will promptly send "The God Delusion."

Any questions? Let me know! Otherwise, I look forward to your responses!