Bright Way Zen regularly offers free workshops introducing you to the practice of Zen meditation. You don't have to be a member of Bright Way or even interested in Zen in order to come. See the Upcoming Events sidebar on our website for additional future dates for this workshop. No registration necessary.
It is becoming more and more widely recognized in the West that meditation is an extremely beneficial practice. If you would like to learn how to do the Zen form of meditation, attend one of our 90-minute workshops in order to learn enough to try meditating on your own, or feel more comfortable meditating with a group. The workshops cover:
- Basics of posture – keeping an upright spine while seated on the floor, a meditation bench, or chair
- What to do with your eyes, hands, legs, etc. during meditation
- Ways to deal with any discomfort you experience during meditation
- Tips on the best posture for you
- What to do (or not do) with your mind during Zen meditation
- Tools to help you calm the mind
- The idea behind meditation (what's the point?)
- Troubleshooting challenges to your meditation
- How to start and maintain a sitting practice at home
In the workshop we will actually meditate together for about 15 minutes, and then debrief together afterwards so you can ask more questions based on your experience.
There will be a donation box by the door, but you are not obligated to pay anything for this workshop. It is also not necessary to RSVP or register – just come in loose, comfortable clothing and arrive a few minutes early!