Bristol Ruby User Group #brug Message Board › Help and Advice

Help and Advice

hass
user 112334652
Exeter, GB
Post #: 2
Dear all,

I am looking for help and advice on which direction to go with web programming and whether you know of any local courses or training in the South West area.

For the last 2 years, I've have been working as a Web Designer / System Analysis but recently became redundant. My knowledge is only in HTML/HTML5 , CSS/CSS3 and for backend development this is very limited to just basic knowledge of PHP, MySQL and a bit of Javascript.

I was wondering if anyone from personal experience, knows which backend language is best to work with that has a easy to moderate learning curve and for the long term future has great job opportunities.

I have seen that RoR seems to be an upcoming popular language but from a bit of searching on google, the jobs in that area seem to be in short demand compared to say PHP and C#. I've dabbled in a bit of PHP,C# and RoR but I just don't know which direction to go!

I am also finding it difficult finding another job in web as most Junior positions require these programming skills under their belt! Can some one help me??