The Brookline Book Club Meetup Group Message Board Book Discussions › Feb Bk suggestion

Feb Bk suggestion

A former member
Post #: 57
Hi All!!

It was great meeting you all. I'm looking forward to next month.. Here are some of my suggestions.

It seems like we all (or a lot of us) are fans of Garcia Marquez. I'd love to read him again. Any one of his books
I love Fannie Flagg and would like to read Still Dreaming about you
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
The Hr. I 1st believed, Wally Lamb or other Wally Lamb books
There are a lot of books you read as a club before that I wanted to read by missed, such as The Women by T. Boyle (a fictional story about the woment of Frank Lloyd Wright)
Debra
user 73902192
Brookline, MA
Post #: 1
There is a book called "The Map and The Territory," by a famous French author I was interested in.

I am planning a trip to London and Cornwall and any books that stoke my excitement about the trip would be wonderful. I must admit I am a bit of a gothic novel fan, and loved "The Thirteenth Tale," and would enjoy reading it again, as my memory has gone the way of my youth.

I think I may have "The Hour I First Believed," and I love Wally Lamb, but never was able to finish the book. So having it as a chosen book may or may not force me-it is very long though.

I have a million books on a list somewhere, I'll try to come back with more.

Debra
user 73902192
Brookline, MA
Post #: 2
There is a website, BookMovement.com-that one can register on and it tracks books being read by book clubs (and I think you can add your book club as well). Has lots of lists. I am probably in the minority in liking Kate Morton's books, but one I only got 1/4 of the way through was "The House At Riverton," which I'd enjoy reading. I've read a lot on the lists. I'd encourage others to join there and take a look. I loved Gone Girl and The Light Between the Oceans, but you've done those, I think. I'm sure there are plenty that are popular and more unsung.
A former member
Post #: 58
Great suggestion Debra!! I definitely think that's a great way to go.

Here's the Fannie Flagg book I was talking about last month: I still dream about you:
http://www.amazon.com...­

And, here's a list of books I have in my library I haven't read yet but want to that I gave to another bookgrp:

Fiction:
Song of Soloman, Toni Morrison (or other Morrison books)
Smila's Sense of Snow, Peter Hoeg
Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards (my mother said there were some really good discussions on this book in her book group.
Lost, Gregory McGuire (but I'd read any of his other books based on Wiz of Oz characters)

Non-Fiction
Louisa May Alcott by Cheever, 320pp
Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff, 384pp
Essays by David Sedaris
1/2 the sky
Stones to Schools (the followup to "3 cups of tea")
Paulo Coehlo books
Keep the Change, Dublon (an autobiographical, anthropological, and somewhat comic study on tipping in America), 320pp

Here are some other books I've been wanting to read
Lacuna, B.Kingsolver
Philipa Gregory books on the Boleyns and Tudors (other than The Other Boleyn Girl, although I'd read that again!)
Salman Rushdi: Luka & The Fire of Life