CELEBRATE LIFE: BONFIRE DRUM CIRCLE
and MICHAEL'S BIRTHDAY PARTY
[No presents necessary - just your presence.]
SATURDAY, APRIL 13TH • 7:30PM-1:00AM
2ND SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH plus NEW YEAR'S EVE
(2013: Jan 12th, Feb 9th, Mar 9th, Apr 13th, May 11th, Jun 8th, Jul 13th, Aug 10th, Sep 14th, Oct 12th, Nov 9th, Dec 14th, Dec 31st - please mark your calendar!)
HOSTED BY: PremShakti and Michael Dean Goodman in West Palm Beach
CALLING ALL BELLY DANCERS, DRUMMERS, FLOW ARTISTS (FIRE PERFORMERS, HOOPERS, POI-SPINNERS, ETC.), BURNERS, RAINBOW TRIBE, YOGIS, TANTRICS, MUSICIANS, HEALERS, AND SUPPORTIVE ONLOOKERS...
Please come enjoy this monthly gathering of our 'conscious tribe' (now in its 7th year) - join 150 folks celebrating life: personal growth, love, consciousness, radiance, creativity, expansion, community, peace, and bliss!
WHAT'S HAPPENING and WHEN
OPEN MIC* 7:30-11:00pm (living room)
• Musicians, dancers, singers, poets, comedians
• Anyone can perform (half-hour time slots please to leave room for others)
DRUM CIRCLE 8:00-11:00pm (at the bonfire circle)
• Live drumming and radiant dancing. (Note: we must stop at 11pm to keep the neighbors - and thus the city and police - happy.)
• Flow artists (fire-performers, hoopers, poi-spinners, etc.) are welcome to perform inside or outside the circle
ACUPUNCTURE* 8:30-9:15pm (yoga room)
• Group session by Jim Hanlon, acupuncture physician (Shenque Healthcare, West Palm Beach, www.shenqueacupuncture.com). Relaxing and healing. Donations appreciated.
BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION 11:00-11:30pm (Pleasure Dome)
Give birthday wishes to Michael, read him a poem, dance for him, play or sing him a song, spin some fire, bathe him in an ocean of love...
MUSICAL JAM SESSION 11:30pm-1:00am (living room)
• All musicians, drummers (gently please), singers, and dancers are invited to the famous 'party after the party'
• Incredible music gets generated; join in, sing, dance, or just watch; requests and spontaneous jamming are welcome
WHAT'S HAPPENING ALL EVENING
THE PLEASURE DOME (26'-WIDE SHIVA/SHAKTI TEMPLE) (backyard)
• for bodywork, healing exchanges, readers, lounging, playing, chilling...
• acro-yoga performances and teaching are very welcome
• enjoy the massage table and chair, vibrating bed, shiatsu back massager, full body massage pad, hand massage machines, yoga balls, etc. And the beautiful laser light show!
GREAT CONVERSATION and NETWORKING (everywhere)
• feel free to hand out cards or literature and to promote yourself
• make new friends
POTLUCK FEAST (food in the kitchen, beverages on the porch)
• please label your ingredients (some folks are vegetarian or sensitive to certain ingredients)
BODY ARTISTS: body paint, hair decoration, henna* (screened porch)
• you are welcome to offer your talent - please inquire
PALM READINGS* (yoga office)
• by Blue Evans. Free 5-minute readings (tips are accepted).
* Note: all events and services that are offered by others are listed in good faith, but are dependent on someone else's presence and are thus ultimately out of our control.
DONATE TO PARTY EXPENSES:
$5 per person at the entrance table (or volunteer to help at the party in lieu of donation)
IN CASE OF RAIN:
This event still happens - everything moves indoors
PremShakti and Michael Dean Goodman at our home
4855 Belvedere Rd., Haverhill (West Palm Beach), FL 33415
Just west of the Palm Beach Airport
2 blocks west of Military Tr.
On the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. and Park Ln.
WHAT TO BRING:
• DRUM CIRCLE: (1) something to sit on (chair, stool, blanket) - we supply a few if you come early enough; (2) drums or other rhythm instruments (we have a few extra rhythm-makers)
• COSTUMES: if you'd like to dress special (bellydance, fantasy, renaissance, sensual, etc.)
• POTLUCK: if you want to partake in the potluck feast, bring a main dish, salad, dessert, or beverage. Please label ingredients (some people are vegetarian or sensitive to certain ingredients).
• OPEN-MIC PERFORMING: your instrument, voice, dancing feet, poetry, etc.
• SHARING: your body-work, energy-work, healing, or reading skills. In the Pleasure Dome we provide 1 massage table and 1 massage chair to be shared by all. You are welcome to provide your own equipment if you want a more stable set-up - bring your own massage table/chair, card table, lamp, extension cords, etc. as needed. Electric hookups are available.
• FLOW ARTS: your fire-dancing, poi-spinning, hooping, or other skills - we've set aside a special area for performers.
• SLEEP-OVERS: at least a sleeping bag or air mattress, and towel, if you plan to stay overnight - see below.
Please help us have a peaceful and harmonious party by honoring these guidelines:
• If you bring children under 16 they must be under your constant supervision and not wandering alone.
- Before bringing children, carefully consider: at this party there is an unsupervised bonfire, unsupervised alcohol, the hazard of fire-performers, very loud and powerful drumming, a milling crowd of people, energized and sensuous dancing, revealing costumes...
- By bringing children you take full responsibility for the appropriateness of that, plus for their safety and for their behavior.
- Make sure that your children don't attempt to play along in the drum circle until they're old enough to keep the beat and cooperate with the group.
- Make sure that they don't disrupt the dancers or performers by 'getting underfoot'.
• No alcohol consumption if you're under 21
• No illegal substances
• No anti-social behavior
• No smoking in the house or back yard - only in the front yard
• No turn-arounds in neighbors' driveways or yards; the late-night activity and headlights disturb people and they complain to the City
DRUM CIRCLE HARMONY
To maintain the harmonious, respectful, community spirit of this drum circle, please:
• Drum close to the other drummers (so you can hear each other).
• Really listen to and cooperate with what others are playing.
• Don't use the drum circle to grandstand or show off at the expense of group coherence - please contribute to the group experience.
• Stop any drum rhythm when the bulk of the group stops.
• Allow a few moments of silence between rhythms.
• If you start a new rhythm, try to make it significantly different from what's already been played that night.
• It's not necessary to fill up every 'empty space' in the rhythm with drum sound - the empty spaces create the 'personality' of the rhythm.
• Slow and sensual is just as good as fast and high-energy drumming, and it pleases both the dancers and the more musical drummers. In the same way, softer is sometimes more appropriate than louder.
• Only play big bass drums or penetrating instruments (cow bells, etc.), that dominate/lead the rhythm: if you have some drum circle experience, musical listening skills (to hear the changes suggested by the lead drummers), a good sense of rhythm, persistence enough to keep your part going thru the whole rhythm, and don't have a tendency to drag the beat.
• Listen quietly during group announcements.
• Keep your announcements on topic - only events related to drumming, dancing, flow arts, or chanting/kirtan.
• Respect the traditions and leadership of the group; and look out for the welfare of the group and the event.
• Don't borrow or play on someone's drum (or other instrument) without prior permission. Remove your rings and other hand jewelry before playing. Don't play someone else's hand drum with sticks unless you've asked them.
To learn more about drum circle etiquette, please go to:
WHAT TO WEAR:
Anything from casual to dress-up to costumes is appropriate. For example, some women wear shorts, some wear dresses, some wear 'goddess outfits' or renaissance or fantasy-wear, some wear bellydance costumes, some wear exotic or sensual outfits. Dress in whatever makes you feel great and special!
Photography is welcome, if you follow the guidelines:
1. If someone requests not to be photographed, immediately honor their request. Don't argue with, ignore, or make light of them.
2. When photographing around the drum circle, don't interfere with the dancers (shoot from outside the circle - not in the dance area!).
3. If you post photos to the internet, please mention our event's full name: "CELEBRATE LIFE: Bonfire Drum Circle and Fabulous Party - hosted monthly by PremShakti and Michael Dean Goodman in West Palm Beach, FL".
4. By photographing at our event you grant us permission to use your photos of our event.
5. As a courtesy please notify us when you post photos to the web (by tagging or e-mailing us), or if you don't post them please e-mail us full-sized copies of your photos.
1. Exit at Belvedere Rd.
2. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Belvedere Rd. westbound.
3. Pass the airport on the left, round the big 'S' curve
4. Pass Military Trail (stoplight, 2 gas stations, Walgreens, KFC)
5. At the 2nd street past Military Tr. (Park Ln.) turn right (1 block before Haverhill)
6. We're on the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. and Park Ln. ('4855' on the mailbox).
FROM THE FLORIDA TURNPIKE - NORTHBOUND
1. Exit at Southern Blvd.
2. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Southern Blvd. eastbound
3. Go about 2 miles and exit at Haverhill Rd.
4. Turn left/north on Haverhill Rd. and go 1 mile
5. Turn right (east) on Belvedere Rd. (stoplight, 2 churches)
6. Immediately get in the left lane - make a u-turn at the first opportunity (about 1 block down)
7. Immediately turn right onto Park Ln.
8. We're on the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. and Park Ln. ('4855' on the mailbox).
FROM THE FLORIDA TURNPIKE - SOUTHBOUND
1. Exit at Okeechobee Blvd.
2. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Okeechobee Blvd. eastbound
3. Go about 1.5 miles and turn right/south on Haverhill Rd. (stoplight, Walgreens, etc.)
4. Go 1 mile and turn left (east) on Belvedere Rd. (stoplight, 2 churches)
5. Immediately get in the left lane - make a u-turn at the first opportunity (about 1 block down)
6. Immediately turn right onto Park Ln.
7. We're on the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. and Park Ln. ('4855' on the mailbox).
IMPORTANT PARKING INFO:
(1) UNLOADING - pull into our concrete driveway (off of Park Ln.) to briefly unload heavy items (leave your emergency flashers on) - then move your vehicle to permanent parking.
(2) PARKING - at St. Christopher's Episcopal Church, in their paved parking lot, on the NW corner of Belvedere Rd. and Haverhill Rd., 1/2 block west of our home (a 3-minute walk).
- Go west on Belvedere Rd., pass through the stoplight, turn right into the church parking lot.
- Please park intelligently to maximize the number of parking spaces.
- We have negotiated to use this wonderful space in return for a $1 per car donation to the church which we collect at our entrance table.
- Use common sense: lock your car; don't leave valuables (or anything enticing) in plain sight.
(3) DON'T PARK ANYWHERE ELSE (to keep the City and our neighbors happy).
Specifically - DON'T park:
• On our narrow side street (Park Ln.);
• On ANY local street or shoulder;
• In the other church parking lot on the SE corner of Haverhill Rd.;
• In the private community (Briarwood) directly across Belvedere.
In each case it's illegal and you risk a ticket and/or towing!
(4) OUR FRONT LAWN - is reserved for:
• handicap permit holders
• party staff
• performers with heavy equipment
• sleepover guests.
NO ONE ELSE please - it damages our yard and landscaping.
MELLOW SUNDAY MORNING-AFTER:
• SLEEPOVERS ARE WELCOME
If you don't feel like driving home, stay in the Pleasure Dome or the yoga studio. Please bring sleepover gear: a sleeping bag or air mattress, and a towel.
• SUNDAY ACTIVITIES
Enjoy PremShakti's deep yoga class and chanting: 9:30-11:00am ($15 or class pass)
Acharya PremShakti is a master yoga teacher, a co-founder of the Kripalu Yoga Center in the Berkshires in the 1970s, an international kirtan performer, and has trained 20% of all the yoga teachers in south Florida plus hundreds more from all over the world. Start your Sunday with her beautiful yoga, pranayama (breathwork), and kirtan (spiritual chanting).
Afterward we may spontaneously organize a group lunch or outing.
FOR MORE INFO ON THIS and OTHER GREAT EVENTS:
(1) Dr. Michael Dean Goodman (event host):
[masked] (voice or text), [masked], or message me on Facebook]
(2) CELEBRATE LIFE - Facebook page (please join)
Dedicated to CELEBRATE LIFE: Bonfire Drum Circle and Fabulous (Potlock) Party; held on the 3rd Saturday of each month just west of the Palm Beach Airport; attended by 150 people
(3) PALM BEACH COUNTY DRUMMING - Meetup group (please join)
The original, premiere community calendar of drumming/dancing/flow arts/chanting events; 850 members
(4) SOUTH FLORIDA DRUMMING/DANCING/FLOW ARTS/CHANTING - Facebook group (please join)
Free community announcements of drumming/dancing/flow arts/chanting events; 300 members
(5) SOUTH FLORIDA CONSCIOUS EVENTS NEWSLETTER - Yahoo group (please join)
Select drumming/dancing/flow arts/chanting/spirituality announcements; circulation 3500
(6) MOONDANCE - Facebook page (please join)
Dedicated to MOONDANCE: The Palm Beach County Full Moon Drum Circle - the oldest and largest drum circle in the county; held on the full Moon night each month; attended by 400+ people
(7) PREMYOGA CENTER - Facebook group (please join)
Dedicated to the PREMYOGA CENTER in West Palm Beach, FL.
Offering: Kripalu Yoga Classes • Yoga Therapy • Turiya Meditation • Yoga Teacher Training Programs • Vedic Knowledge • Tantra (Sacred Relationship) • Ayur Veda (healthy diet & lifestyle) Consultation • Awakening Intensives • Kirtan (Spiritual Chanting) • Tribal Drum Circles • Ph.D. Counseling • Life Coaching • Self-Inquiry Satsangs