CELEBRATE LIFE: PREMSHAKTI & MICHAEL'S MONTHLY BONFIRE DRUM CIRCLE and FABULOUS PARTY
4TH SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH, 7:30pm-1am
CALLING ALL DRUMMERS, DANCERS, FIRE-PERFORMERS, MUSICIANS, BURNERS, YOGIS, TANTRICS, HEALERS...
Please come enjoy this fabulous monthly gathering of our 'conscious tribe' (now in its 5th year) - 150 folks celebrating life: personal growth, love, consciousness, radiance, creativity, expansion, community, peace, & bliss!
WHAT'S HAPPENING & WHEN
PERFORMERS & SING-ALONGS 7:30-11:00pm (living room)
• Musicians, dancers, singers, poets • anyone can perform • half-hour time limit at one time please)
DRUM CIRCLE 8:00-11:00pm (at the fire circle) - in the hottest weather we use candles
• Live drumming & radiant dancing. (Note: we must stop at 11pm to keep the neighbors happy.)
• Fire-performers, hoopers, poi-spinners are welcome - perform inside the drum circle - or in the open space just north of it (if it's too crowded in the circle)
ACUPUNCTURE 8:00-9:00 (yoga room)
• Group session by Jim Hanlon, acupuncture physician (Shenque Healthcare, West Palm Beach). No charge.
PARTNER DANCE LESSON 9:00-9:30 (yoga room)
• The big dance schools have been misleading you - it's really quick & easy to learn to dance!
• We'll learn something fun from ballroom, Latin, swing, or tango; also secrets of easy leading & following; and how to hear & flow with the music; no partner needed: led by Michael Dean Goodman. No charge.
PARTNER DANCING (no partner needed)
9:30-11:00 (yoga room)
EAR ACUPUNCTURE & QIGONG 9:00-10:00 (pleasure dome)
• Group session by Maya Sarkisyan, acupuncture physician (Transentient Health & Wellness, Boca Raton) & Shaolin QiGong practitioner. No charge.
BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS 11:00-11:30 (yoga room)
• For anyone with a birthday on/near this day. Design a celebration. (Please bring your own cake.)
MUSICAL JAM SESSION 11:00-1:00 (living room)
• All musicians, gentle drummers, singers, & dancers are invited to the famous 'party after the party'
• Incredible music gets generated; join in or just watch; requests & spontaneous jamming welcome
THE PLEASURE DOME (26' wide, 13' tall) (backyard)
• for bodywork, healing exchanges, readers, acro-yoga, lounging, playing, chilling...
• enjoy the massage table & chair, vibrating bed, shiatsu back massager, hand massage machines, yoga balls, etc. (Please, no loud music or drumming after 11pm.)
GREAT CONVERSATION & NETWORKING (everywhere)
• feel free to hand out cards or literature & to promote yourself
POTLUCK FEAST (food in the kitchen, beverages on the porch)
• please label your ingredients (some folks are vegetarian or sensitive to certain ingredients)
HENNA ART (back porch)
• by Jason Wallace or Diana Spring (Indu-Zari Henna). The artist charges reasonably for this beautiful artwork.
PALM READINGS (yoga office)
• by/ Blue Evans. No charge, but tips are accepted.
DONATE TO PARTY EXPENSES:
$5 per person (or volunteer to help at the party in lieu of donation)
IN CASE OF RAIN:
This event still happens - everything moves indoors
PremShakti & Michael Dean Goodman at our home
4855 Belvedere Rd., Haverhill (West Palm Beach), FL 33415
Just west of the Palm Beach Airport
2 blocks west of Military Tr.
On the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. & Park Ln.
WHAT TO BRING:
• Something to sit on for the drum circle (chair, stool, blanket) - we supply a few
• Drums or other rhythm instruments (we have a few extras)
• Dancing shoes (for dancing around the fire, and/or partner dancing on the wood dance floor)
• Costumes (if you'd like to dress special)
• A main dish, salad, dessert, or beverage (if you want to partake in the potluck feast). Please label ingredients (some people are vegetarian or sensitive to certain ingredients)
• Your instrument, voice, dancing feet, poetry, etc. - if you'd like to perform inside
• Your body-working, energy-working, healing, reading skills to share (if you plan to focus on sharing your work, please bring your own equipment - massage table, card table, lighting, extension cords, etc. as needed - electric hookups are available; we provide 1 massage table & 1 massage chair to be shared in the Pleasure Dome).
• Your fire-dancing, poi-spinning, hooping, or other performance skills - if you'd like to perform outside
• Sleep-over gear (if you plan to stay overnight - see below)
Please help us have a peaceful & harmonious party by honoring these guidelines:
• If you bring children under 16 they must be under your constant supervision & not wandering alone. Before bringing children, carefully consider: at this party there is an unsupervised bonfire, unsupervised alcohol (wine, beer), dangerous fire-performers, very loud & powerful drumming, a milling crowd of people, energized & sensuous dancing, revealing costumes... By bringing children you take full responsibility for their safety and for their behavior. Make sure that your children don't attempt to play along in the drum circle until they're old enough to keep the beat & cooperate with the group. Make sure that th ey don't disrupt the dancers or performers by 'getting underfoot'.
• No alcohol consumption if you're under 21
• No illegal substances
• No anti-social behavior
• No smoking in the house or back yard - only in the front yard
• No turn-arounds in neighbors' driveways or yards (other than the neighbor who handles our parking); the late-night activity & headlights disturb people & they complain to the City
DRUM CIRCLE HARMONY
To maintain the harmonious, respectful, community spirit of this drum circle, please:
• Drum close to the other drummers (so you can hear each other).
• Really listen to & cooperate with what others are playing.
• Don't use the drum circle to grandstand or show off at the expense of group coherence - please contribute to the group experience.
• Stop drumming when the bulk of the group stops.
• Allow a few moments of silence between rhythms.
• If you start a new rhythm, try to make it significantly different from what's already been played that night.
• It's not necessary to fill up every 'empty space' in the rhythm with drum sound - the empty spaces create the 'personality' of the rhythm.
• Slow & sensual is just as good as fast & high-energy drumming, & it pleases both the dancers & the more musical drummers. In the same way, softer is sometimes more appropriate than louder.
• Only play big drums or penetrating instruments (cow bells, etc.) if you have a good sense of rhythm, persistence enough to keep your part going thru the whole rhythm, & don't have a tendency to drag the beat.
• Listen quietly during group announcements.
• Keep your announcements on topic - only drumming-, dancing-, or chanting-related events.
• Respect the traditions & leadership of the group; & look out for the welfare of the group & the event.
• Don't borrow or play on someone's drum (or other instrument) without prior permission. Remove your rings & other hand jewelry before playing. Don't play someone else's hand drum with sticks unless you've asked them.
To learn more about drum circle etiquette, please go to:
WHAT TO WEAR:
Anything from casual to dress-up to costumes is appropriate. For example, some women wear shorts, some wear dresses, some wear 'goddess outfits' or fantasy wear, some wear bellydance or other costumes. Dress in whatever makes you feel great & special!
Photography is welcome, if you follow the guidelines:
1. If someone requests not to be photographed, immediately honor their request. Don't argue with, ignore, or make light of them.
2. When photographing around the drum circle, don't interfere with the dancers (shoot from outside the circle).
3. If you post photos to the internet, please mention our event's full name: "CELEBRATE LIFE: PremShakti & Michael's Monthly Bonfire Drum Circle & Fabulous Party - in West Palm Beach FL".
4. By photographing at our event you grant us permission to use your photos of our event for publicity purposes.
5. As a courtesy please notify us when you post photos to the web, or alternatively e-mail us full-sized copies of your photos if you don't post them.
1. Exit at Belvedere Rd.
2. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Belvedere Rd. westbound.
3. Pass the airport on the left, round the big 'S' curve
4. Pass Military Trail (stoplight, 2 gas stations, Walgreens, KFC)
5. At the 2nd street past Military Tr. (Park Ln.) turn right (1 block before Haverhill)
6. We're on the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. & Park Ln. ('4855' on the mailbox).
FROM THE FLORIDA TURNPIKE - NORTHBOUND
1. Exit at Southern Blvd.
2. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Southern Blvd. eastbound
3. Go about 2 miles and exit at Haverhill Rd.
4. Turn left/north on Haverhill Rd. and go 1 mile
5. Turn right (east) on Belvedere Rd. (stoplight, 2 churches)
6. Immediately get in the left lane - make a u-turn at the first opportunity (about 1 block down)
7. Immediately turn right onto Park Ln.
8. We're on the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. & Park Ln. ('4855' on the mailbox).
FROM THE FLORIDA TURNPIKE - SOUTHBOUND
1. Exit at Okeechobee Blvd.
2. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Okeechobee Blvd. eastbound
3. Go about 1.5 miles and turn right/south on Haverhill Rd. (stoplight, Walgreens, etc.)
4. Go 1 mile & turn left (east) on Belvedere Rd. (stoplight, 2 churches)
5. Immediately get in the left lane - make a u-turn at the first opportunity (about 1 block down)
6. Immediately turn right onto Park Ln.
7. We're on the NE corner of Belvedere Rd. & Park Ln. ('4855' on the mailbox).
IMPORTANT PARKING INFO:
UNLOADING - pull into our concrete driveway (off Park Ln.) to briefly unload heavy items (leave your emergency flashers on) - then move your vehicle to permanent parking.
PARK in our neighbor's yard to the north of us on Park Ln. (They charge $2 per car).
FREE ALTERNATIVE PARKING on the undeveloped land a short block east of us, on the south (opposite) side of Belvedere, across from Concord Ln. The street sign says "Dead End". Please park off the street, on the grass, in neat rows.
DON'T PARK ANYWHERE ELSE (to keep the City & our neighbors happy).
Specifically - DON'T park:
• On our narrow side street (Park Ln.);
• On ANY street or shoulder;
• In any church parking lot;
• In the private development (Briarwood) directly across Belvedere.
In each case it's illegal & you risk a ticket and/or towing!
OUR FRONT LAWN - is reserved for handicap permit holders, sleepover guests, party staff, performers with heavy equipment
MELLOW SUNDAY MORNING AFTER:
SLEEPOVERS ARE WELCOME
If you don't feel like driving home, stay in the Pleasure Dome or the yoga center. Bring a sleeping bag & towel.
Enjoy PremShakti's deep, gentle yoga class: 9:30-11:00am ($15 or class pass)
Acharya PremShakti is a master yoga teacher, co-founded the Kripalu Yoga Center in the Berkshires in the 1970s, & has trained over 20% of the yoga teachers in south Florida. Start your Sunday with yoga, pranayama (breathwork), & kirtan (spiritual chanting).