Spa has probably been the most visited city with this group, and with reason. The only direction that has not been visited yet was the north of it (and the city, but that doesn't count).
For those who don't want to see the military parade in Brussels, this is the current proposition, using the GR15 to link Spa to Eupen. This is a mostly foresty stage, the only interruptions being the village of Polleur and its countryside and the Gilette dam.
Since the last activities have been lacking a trekkings.be coverage, it is then repaired: http://www.trekkings.be/gr15eupenspa.html
Difficulty: upper intermediate
Total ascent: 830m
Total descent: 780m
Kind of surfaces: unsurfaced, gravels, asphalt.
Elevation profile: a few steep hills, with height differences between 70 and 170m
Hiking boots, appropriate clothing, enough food and drinks for the day (the pause for lunch are short, to avoid cooling down too much). If you haven't noticed: July is the most rainy month in Belgium, but the regulars know that me predicting bad weather is usually good luck (I guess we won't be able to avoid the "drache nationale", though).
- one return train ticket to Eupen
- one one-way train ticket Verviers-Spa.
(a Rail pass is better if you have one)
Meetup at 7:50 in Brussels-Central. Arrival in Brussels around 19h00
Some info for "first timers":
• Most of the hikes in this meetup group have a sportive character in the sense that the hikes are relatively long and we (like / have to) walk at a reasonable pace! Hence, a bit of exercise!
• There is a max. number of participants set, because we think hiking is more fun in relatively small groups
• The first on the waiting list will be automatically “promoted” to the participants list if somebody would cancel (if you join the waiting list with friends, be aware that you'll only be moved to the main list if there are enough spots for you and your friends, which can only happen if someone on the main list with friends cancels)
• Please only RSVP if you are sure to join. If your agenda changes, please update your status asap (see also group information).
• A good condition is required and to prevent blisters make sure your shoes are “broken in”; i.e. by having done some hikes in the last few months.