addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bubbles Up Jacksonville Message Board › Post Dive Briefing - Final Bug (Lobster) Day

Post Dive Briefing - Final Bug (Lobster) Day

This message board is read-only.

DeAnn
user 6836599
Group Organizer
Gainesville, FL
Final Bug (Lobster) Day

As with any Dive, one should always do a post dive briefing, to discuss issues/concerns and highlights:

ISSUES/CONCERNS:

Multi-tasking:

I will only speak for myself as maybe the others in the group did not feel that they overloaded themselves, but I do feel that perhaps I did try to take on too much on the first of the dives. And, we all know the dangers of task loading oneself while diving. I guess I had forgotten the fun of snagging the lobsters as when we did our buddy talk (yep we all got together this time), I had elected to be the spotter/bag/picture person.....but once down there....yeah, no.....I elected to snag the lobster instead of pointing him out....well, let's back up a bit....I did try to show one to the others, but they were focused on all the lionfish and flounder that were scurrying around. So, on the next dives I did tend to try to be better backup (but did keep an eye out for any whips waving around) and limited my picture taking a bit! But, with practice, I feel I will get better at it all, since on land I am really good at multi-tasking. But, as we know with diving, we all have our limits and some need longer to hone skills then others. So, don't take on too much. As I learned in cavern class, if you get new equipment, try adding one thing at a time, so you don't overload yourself (I think that is what appears to have happened to the one recent diver death at Vortex - he was trying out sidemounts and a new scooter at the same time....both things one should first do in open water).

Securing Equipment:

While Michael's fell over once (no harm came to any of his stuff), however, one of the other attendees (not from our group) failed to properly secure his equipment following his second dive and when it fell, broke the low pressure inflator hose fitting...which would have ended his diving but we had a spare we loaned him. So each of us can learn from other divers as well as our own.

Switching out equipment:

Again, not one of our divers, but a lesson we all can learn from. One of the divers didn't change his tanks out and in his excitement to get back down to prime spot, right before doing his giant-stride (thank goodness didn't make it down first to find out), realized the low tank pressure and then missed the dive.

Highlights/Kudos:

The Divesites:

Even though a long ride out, the dive sites were amazing to me....I couldn't get over the amount of variety in the marine life and the sheer numbers. The wrecks were just covered with life! The vis was better (and if the sun had been out, it would have been out of this world).

The spearfishing/lobstering/etc:

Everyone had great success at finding something to shoot at or grab (in my case)....and again what a variety of life (lobsters, flounder, lionfish, and the legal thing that we don't know what it was that Jeremy got....and it fought back a bit.

Communication:

Spot on, with Jeremy practicing the yelling through the regulator approach and then the normal hand signals, we all did well at understanding what each diver was saying.

If anyone would like to add any points that they feel we need to address as a team, please feel free. We want to improve as divers and as buddies.

Look forward to our next dive guys!

DeAnn
Brian V.
user 12099867
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 5
Sounds like you all had a blast and really wish I was there. Really hoping the next few months are dull and not full of surprises so I can get the stuff I need and grab a refresher dive.
DeAnn
user 6836599
Group Organizer
Gainesville, FL
Post #: 39
We did and we wish you were too. Here's to smooth sailing ahead so you can join us in our adventures in very short order!
Dan W.
user 29403702
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 1
Glad you had a great time, we did to at Jennie. It rained most of Saturday but eventually stopped late in the day. The galaxy dive was fantastic. How far out and how deep did you guys go, what wreck?
DeAnn
user 6836599
Group Organizer
Gainesville, FL
Post #: 41
Yes, we did have a good time. Well at least at the Springs, if it rains, a wee bit easier to deal with :), we had a bit along with some lighting around the area but sucked it up and dove (we were wet already....lol).

Glad you like the Galaxy dive, it is a favorite of mine too!

We went out about 35 miles, depths approx: 90-120' deep, Capt Dan called it BR, so I think it was Blackmar's Reef (we saw 3 wrecks within the area)

It was a great site and then he did make one more stop at 9 mile, but only Michael dove it...the rest of us were tired!