addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo PHP User Group Message Board › PHP/Flash gurus: How do I generate a preview thumbnail of a flash file?

PHP/Flash gurus: How do I generate a preview thumbnail of a flash file?

Will
user 4731356
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1
If given a flash.swf file, how can I use PHP to generate a preview of the file? Some sites such as widgetbox seem to be able to do that.

Looked around and couldn't find anything.

Any takers/ suggestions?
Ross W.
user 7788917
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1
*If* the swf has image resources inside it, and you're running on linux, then you might want to look into the swftools package on freshmeat. It comes with the swfextract utility that you could shell out to from PHP. But I'm not sure it would be completely automatic... you'd need to know which image object is the one you want, meaning you'd probably want to have some sort of administrative interface. It might just be easier to buy a utility that allows you to take a screen snapshot and apply a macro for resizing and uploading it. It depends on what you need it for...

We've also used Agility Anystream (pricey) for transcoding in the past, and that allows you to take snapshots from points inside movies, but probably not from SWF files.

I think a lot of these places - apparently including widgetbox - prompt the widget submitter to supply a thumbnail. (http://forums.widgetb...­)
synace
synace
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 17
If given a flash.swf file, how can I use PHP to generate a preview of the file? Some sites such as widgetbox seem to be able to do that.

Looked around and couldn't find anything.

Any takers/ suggestions?

i built an entire system that used windows based virtual machines, firefox, and keyboard macro tool and print to PDF.

i originally built a headless one with linux, xwin, and firefox, but it was clunky and difficult to manage, and i had issues w/ large scale dimensions and rendering w/ flash and ff. (may be better now, i did this w/ ff 1.5)

the slaves would query the master, ask for the next item to be rendered from the queue, pull it, render it, convert it to PNG and upload it to the master. the master would mark the render complete and send it for review. once reviewed, it was pushed live.

this was a little different in that we were rendering flash based image manipulation and resulting renderings, but the same concept. we calculated that each virtual machine (base level xen installs from any xen provider) could so around 2500 renderings per day at full 300dpi 11x20 print resolution.