I thought maybe it would be fun to do a gear swap/ sale between members of Eugene Hiking and Camping group. And maybe other groups if they're interested or if organizers are willing to cross post. Plan for it to run from about 2 to 5 and to probably be located at our house off Marcola Rd. in Springfield.
So this is what I envision... If you have old gear you don't use anymore, gear you'd like to trade for something else or if you're looking for particular items someone might be selling, bring yourself and your items to this sale/ swap. You can trade straight across or buy outright depending on what you negotiate with the owner of the item. Each person is responsible for negotiating their own deal. I am not going to be personally responsible for handling sales of items.
Examples of what to bring: Backpacks, tents, stoves, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, compasses, GPS, two way radios, headlamps, bikes, helmets, other cycling/ biking gear, climbing gear, snow gear like skis, boots, poles, snowshoes, snowboards, (not going to have room for large items like jet skis or boats, canoes, kayaks likely but you can bring pics of them), Appropriate outdoor clothing (preferably stuff that is non-cotton, or wool, polyester, etc., shoes, boots, jackets, hats, snow type clothing, etc.
What not to bring: Not interested in facilitating gun sales or fishing equipment. Also no sporting equipment like basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, etc. If its not an activity you've seen posted on one of the three local groups (Eugene Hiking and Camping, Willamette Valley Outdoors, Central Oregon Backpackers), then its not appropriate to bring that equipment.
If you have items for sale:
* Must be in good, working condition.
* Price must be clearly marked
* You can sell outright or do full or partial trades for items.
* You must arrive at 1pm to help set up items and prepare the sale.
* You must be present the entire time your item is on display and available to answer questions. You are also welcome to browse the sale but should be aware of the fact that people are looking to potentially buy your items as well. You should be prepared with appropriate change for buyers and be willing to help move your items in and out during set up and sale.
* You need to take all your items with you when the sale is over. If you have items you would like to see donated, perhaps we can find a boy scout troop or deserving school for them to go to.
* Only bring outdoor related equipment, NO GUNS. If an item is too large to bring and display, you are welcome to bring a picture of it (for example- boats, jet skis, etc.)
If you want to buy items:
* Please be prepared with a variety of bills so people don't have to struggle as much to come up with change.
* Please bring your own shopping bag. They will not be provided.
* You are welcome to negotiate with the seller but they are not required to sell at the price you're asking.
* You can buy items outright or do full or partial trades.
* Must be able to transport items on your own.
THIS SALE WILL NOT BE ADVERTISED TO OR OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. THIS IS FOR MEMBERS OF THE EUGENE HIKING AND CAMPING GROUP ONLY. YOU MUST RSVP TO ATTEND. IF YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE RSVP LIST, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ENTRY. This is simply to avoid a larger than manageable crowd.
Even if all you have is just a couple of things or none at all, you should consider participating. Never know what you might find.
I think this will be a lot of fun and hopefully a great opportunity for all of us to score some "new to us" gear!