Canucks Amuck - Toronto Wargaming Group Message Board › Multiplayer "Here I Stand" Game - March 23rd - Seeking Players

Multiplayer "Here I Stand" Game - March 23rd - Seeking Players

Kozure
Kozure
Group Organizer
York, ON
Post #: 688
Alright, well I think it's reasonable to ask the most experienced player to play the Hapsburgs, which would probably mean Steve M. Tim has requested the Ottomans, which I don't think should pose a problem, and likewise Theo wants the Protestants, also probably not problematic.

That leaves the Papacy, France and England.

My sense of the game and the time period would lead me to believe that the second most challenging faction to play after the Hapsburgs would be the French, so I think that should be left to Steve M.'s friend, Alex, who has presumably played before.

That leaves the Papacy and England. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the Papacy is less of a military power and more of a power broker - the Papacy's battles will be fought more on the debate floor and in Jesuit universities and less on the battlefield. England, as artfully described by Steve above, is more of a balancing act between expansion in the New World, grabbing what crumbs the larger continent powers let drop, and playing the right religious cards at the right moments. Steve or Tim, of those two remaining powers, which would be easier for a person new to CDGs to handle?

Paul, do you have a preference?

I am willing to take whichever power Paul does not want to take.

I also hadn't realized that there are different scenarios for the game, though it might be expected for GMT. I assume we'd be playing the shorter, "Tournament Scenario" based on the 1532 set-up... or are we doing 1517 with the expectation of not finishing in seven hours?
Tim P.
user 2808733
Toronto, ON
Post #: 212
If I remember correctly the game I was in was a neck-and-neck race between the Papacy and the English. I had a fairly easy time as the English, but I think that that was due to:

a) A cheap divorce
b) The French not making trouble for me with Scotland
c) Never really needing to expand on the continent

My rough sense was that the Papacy needs to be a lot more involved around the board than the English do. I think the Papacy probably requires a bit more experience/skill.
Kozure
Kozure
Group Organizer
York, ON
Post #: 691
If I remember correctly the game I was in was a neck-and-neck race between the Papacy and the English. I had a fairly easy time as the English, but I think that that was due to:

a) A cheap divorce
b) The French not making trouble for me with Scotland
c) Never really needing to expand on the continent

My rough sense was that the Papacy needs to be a lot more involved around the board than the English do. I think the Papacy probably requires a bit more experience/skill.

Were you playing the 1517, 1532 or 1532 tournament scenario?

Paul, I can play either the English or the Papacy, whichever you prefer. If you don't care, I'll take the Papacy.
Tim P.
user 2808733
Toronto, ON
Post #: 213
We were playing the 1517 scenario, I can't remember when it ended (game year)

My overwhelming impression of the English was that they are really insular. I never took a space other than Calais on the continent. I conquered Scotland, had a healthy son, got some New World points, and converted a bunch of home spaces to Protestantism and that was that.

I also think I did a really bad job of projecting force over the Channel, mostly due to unfamiliarity with the game mechanics.
A former member
Post #: 5
Paul, I can play either the English or the Papacy, whichever you prefer. If you don't care, I'll take the Papacy.

It is with regret that I must withdraw from next Sat's Meetup. I hope that this leaves enough time to find a relacement player for Here I Stand.

Sorry for the late notice, I just got back into town.
Kozure
Kozure
Group Organizer
York, ON
Post #: 693
Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it Paul.

Anyone else want in on Here I Stand?
Burns M.
user 21454391
Guelph, ON
Post #: 42
If the spot's still open I'd like to join. I've never played Here I Stand but I do have some experience with CDGs so if you're not willing to teach that's fine. I also don't really have a faction preference.
Kozure
Kozure
Group Organizer
York, ON
Post #: 695
If the spot's still open I'd like to join. I've never played Here I Stand but I do have some experience with CDGs so if you're not willing to teach that's fine. I also don't really have a faction preference.

Hi Burns,

I know it's a bit of a trek for you to come in Toronto. Are you 90% sure you'll be able to make it? We'd love to have you, but if we save the spot for you and you end up not making it, we're a little stuck.

If you're pretty sure you can come, great!

You will be playing the English, and it would be great if you can read up on the rules, the faction specific actions and your faction-specific win conditions.

I will be playing the Papacy, so you and Theo will be my principal antagonists. :)

OK, so the role call is currently:

Hapsburgs: Steve M.
French: Alex (Steve M.'s friend)
Ottomans: Tim
Protestants: Theo
Papacy: Chris "Kozure" O.
England: Burns

Everyone should make an effort to read the rules in general and their faction specific actions and powers specifically. If anyone will not be making it on Saturday, please let us know in advance so that we can make alternate arrangements.

Steve M., will we be doing the 1517, 1532 or 1532 tournament game?

Burns M.
user 21454391
Guelph, ON
Post #: 43
Not so sure about 90%, I can definitely give you 89% though. England sounds perfect, I'll study up and see you Saturday.
Tim P.
user 2808733
Toronto, ON
Post #: 215
Not so sure about 90%, I can definitely give you 89% though. England sounds perfect, I'll study up and see you Saturday.

Burns, if you can make it to some convenient location in Burlington, or Oakville, I'd be happy to give you a ride from that spot to Toronto and back again.

I've met both you and your father before, and plenty of people around here can affirm that I'm not some kind of raging psychopath or anything. PM me if you want to try and arrange a ride.