Louisville Card Board Gamers Group - Table Top and LCGs Message Board Living Card Game (LCG) Deck Strategy and Card Rulings › Congrats to those who played in the North American Championship

Congrats to those who played in the North American Championship

Charles P
user 9286310
Louisville, KY
Post #: 37
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Congrats to everyone who played in the North American Championship. I think I saw most of you there. You looked like you were handling yourselves pretty well. Did I hear correctly that Steve made it to the top 4?
steve
WarHammerTime
Georgetown, IN
Post #: 972
I took 2nd place and came home with a finalist trophy. It has me really wanting to go to the world tournament in November.
Charles P
user 9286310
Louisville, KY
Post #: 38
Awesome. I was talking up th CBG crew as solid Warhammer: Invasion players during the warmup, so I am glad to see you made it to the finals. How did they game go? Indeed a match report.
steve
WarHammerTime
Georgetown, IN
Post #: 973
I was really surprised by the abundance of Dark Elf decks at the tournament. Every match other than the final was against a dark elf build, granted they were drastically different archetypes, but still all DE nonetheless.

Round 1:
I played against a really nice guy from Calgary, Alberta whose name started with a "T"(Tian maybe, feel bad for not remembering). He was playing a Dark Elf negative hit point deck his friend(HappyDD on FFG forums) told him to run. I could tell it was a very tuned build, but when I see purple my mulligan condition is the Church. This slowed his deck down beyond coming back and I finished 2 - 0.

Round 2:
This was the most awesome and original DE build I have seen. Sean from Indianapolis used all the card I had looked at and written off as being terrible and put them together to make a really effective hand manipulation deck. He would start off with a couple of the scout guys to work your hand down and eventually lock you down to no card at all with, Gaze of Nagash, Caught the Scent, and Bladewind. While making you discard cards Mannfred von Carstein would be putting the units back on the bottom to get bigger and bigger. All 3 of these games were very close, but I squeaked by 2 -1.

Round 3:
This was a guy that came all the way from the UK! He was running the best DE mill deck I've seen. It was honed with all the best tactics instead of trying to capitalize off the word "Calvary" with Spawn of Kintearer as I had in the past. As with most mill decks though it was weak against the rush and even with Toxic Hydra to wipe out my battlefield a couple of times it wasn't enough.
I finished 2 - 0.

After this we broke to the top 4.

Round 1:
Sean again and his deadly discard your hand deck. It was another close one that ended 2 - 1.

Final Round:
This was against another of the Indianapolis guys, Adam. I had played his deck before and knew how fast and deadly it could be. He had Chaos Brayherd deck. I had a lot of experience playing against these decks having played Leon's build. That's why I knew I was in trouble.

The first game I mulligan'd for Church like an idiot. If I had stopped to think I knew my best move was to take out whatever he laid in his kingdom turn one to prevent an early Brayherd. That is exactly what happened.
First game - Adam.

The second game I regained my senses and mulliganed for Manaan Take You! and got a Long Winter to boot. My strategy worked and I was able to overcome.
Second game - me.

In the third match I mulligan'd for Manaan Take You! again and was able to keep him at bay and even thought I might have been able to pull through for awhile, but in the end came the Brayherd and it was over.
Third game - Adam.

In the end I came out better than I thought I would and had a great time playing!

Here is my deck list:

Empire Warrior Deck

Units: 25
3 X Veteran Sellswords
3 X Peasant Militia
3 X Huntsmen
3 X Imperial Drummer
3 X Van Klumpf's Buccaneers
2 X Stirland Deathjacks
3 X Averheim Soldiers
2 X Zealot Hunter
3 X Veteran Greatsword

Supports: 14
3 X Knight Training
3 X The Imperial Zoo
3 X Derricksburg Forge
2 X Runefang of Solland
3 X Church of Sigmar

Tactics: 11
3 x Long Winter
3 X Iron Discipline
3 X Called Back
2 X Manaan Take You!
Mayo
meepow
Louisville, KY
Post #: 412
I know it's a little late, but congrats to Steve for getting second in the National Warhammer Invasion tourney. Also, Leon in top 8!
steve
WarHammerTime
Georgetown, IN
Post #: 978
Thanks man! You think you will be able to come Friday? I'd really like to get a crew together to go to Worlds on November. You think you'd be up for a trek to Roseville, MN?
Mayo
meepow
Louisville, KY
Post #: 414
Well, first, Friday's are hard lately cause Aileen goes to school 3 nights a week, and Friday's she usually wants to do something with me. Our schedules are all screwed up. I might be able to go in November. What are the date(s) and time(s) for it? Never been to Minnesota before.
steve
WarHammerTime
Georgetown, IN
Post #: 980
Championship Weekend runs from Nov. 9 - 11 and costs $25 for the whole deal.

It will take place at the FFG Event Center in Roseville, MN. The site says FFG will be working out event pricing with a hotel within 1 mile of the place.

I sent an email asking what day WHI is on and hwhat they expect the hotel rates to be, but they haven't answered.

Ideally I would like to get 4 guys together to split hotel for 1 night and gas. Leon says he is in so we are looking for 2 more guys to split with.

What do you think?
Mayo
meepow
Louisville, KY
Post #: 415
I will have to talk to Aileen about that. Can't give you an answer yet. Sounds fun though. We'll see...maybe she will feel generous and let me out of my cage for a little bit. haha
steve
WarHammerTime
Georgetown, IN
Post #: 981
Here is a link to the schedule:

http://www.fantasyfli...­

Warhammer Invasion is on Saturday starting at 4pm. I would really only like to stay only one night in a hotel, but I'm not sure if that will be possible. What do you think?