align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Cascade Free Group Rides Message Board › Raceblades can be dangerous

Raceblades can be dangerous

Don W.
user 9512124
Snohomish, WA
Post #: 7
Wanted everyone to know I just had an accident on the I-90 east span yesterday 4/6/14 that was caused by my race blades. Someone had already mentioned that they can come unfastened by the forks and cause such an accident so I always make sure I hear a click and pull on the connection to verify it's okay. Didn't help yesterday, the front blade unfastened at some point and when going over an expansion joint on the bridge, it jammed my front tire and over the bars I went. I will heal in a week or so and my bike will require about $200 in repairs but I will never use race blades again. Fare warning, I was lucky it was not more serious.
Sandi N.
user 50830052
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Don, sorry to hear this. I had a similar incident in November with the same fenders. I also went over the handlebars, luckily I was okay and back to riding in about two weeks, although I still have pain in my right wrist 4 months later. I have not used my front fender since. The old version was recalled, but my fenders had the new attachment and they were still faulty. Can't believe they can still sell these. Glad you are okay.
Anup
user 10135126
Mill Creek, WA
Post #: 1
I have these on as well and I am just realizing that these just pop out on their own. There was a recall on one version of these, but I am not sure if my raceblade long fenders are the re-called ones or the fixed ones. Anyone knows how to differentiate between the two ?
Keith M.
user 125194422
Kirkland, WA
Yes, my Raceblades have also worked there way off the mounting bracket. Luckly I noticed it before any harm was done! My solution was to add a small screw and lock nut through the mounting hole to make them more secure. This makes them more of a permanent fender. It works... Good luck
Joseph R.
user 10095038
Seattle, WA
Fascinating. I've been shopping for fenders for a bike with almost zero clearance at the fork and these seemed like just the thing except they mysteriously vanished from shelves. Perhaps what you mention above is why they were pulled in such a hurry.