A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all!

I am trying to get in contact with groups and/or individuals that conduct Trap-Neuter-Return in Akron.

I am also interested in learning more about Akron's "at large" cat ordinance (implemented in 2002, it authorizes the trapping and removal of free-roaming cats in the area) and its practical effects in the community today. What is the free-roaming cat situation today in Akron today? Is the program still in effect?

Any and all responses appreciated! Thanks!

Michelle
Debbie G.
Debbie456
Brecksville, OH
Post #: 11
Neutering Programs Being Reviewed
http://www.ci.akron.o...­

The City of Akron believes that an effective neutering program for cats is essential to control the animal population, and has been examining alternatives and looking at other model programs in cities around the country to determine how to proceed in the best way possible.

To date, Akron has maintained modest incentives for neutering cats through a program of reduced price coupons distributed by the Department of Health at vaccination clinics. The citizens group Imagine.Akron:2025 in its Final Report to the Mayor published in September 2000, called for development of "an effective neuter and spay program" in the future.

Mayor Plusquellic is committed to providing reasonable City resources for an effective neutering program.
--------------------------------------­----
My comments: This looks like a great opportunity to effect change in the way stray cats are handled. The Summit County and Cuyahoga County Humane Societies should get together and solve this problem. Obviously TNR has to be in place, but affordable Spay/Neuter programs also...and, NO kittens put up for adoption until they are neutered (>8 weeks, 2lb). Finally, cats need to be valued. A feral cat should not be considered a useless, wild animal. But how can we change the mindset of the public? -Thanks, keep up the good fight!