New York Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Meetup Message Board › Help - Episodes of Loud Wheezing

Help - Episodes of Loud Wheezing

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi - our 2 yr old Cavalier puppy, Nola will occasionally have episodes where it looks like she is having difficulty breathing. We cannot tell if it's nasal or throat but she basically makes a very loud, repetitive 'wheezing' sound and it looks like she is having difficulty clearing something.

Does anyone have insight and similar experiences with their CKCs? We have not brought it up with the vet because it happens sporadically. Would like to know what to do when it happens because each time when it happens we are not sure what to do. The episodes are sometimes short, sometimes long.

Thank you
A former member
Post #: 1
my dog had the same symptoms for years and vets assured me it was nothing, just incidental to the breed behavior since they have short snouts. however, as my dog got older, it progressed, for example she would always choke after drinking water and often panted. This weekend she had a very acute onset of choking and wheezing and practically cannot breath. My fear is that she has an advanced stage of Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS) - which can lead to a collapse of her throat and require a surgery with only 50% survival rate. Does anyone know any good vets in the city who specialize in Cavs and can do their own testing on the premises, such as endoscopy or cat scans?
Mary Rose P.
user 13731433
Glen Cove, NY
Post #: 5
Hi,
I have had Cavaliers for 20 years and all did this or something similar when excited and swallowing at the same time. I was told it was like a reverse sneeze (whatever that is). Take a video on your phone when it is happening and bring it to the vet. This is your safest bet. It is likely nothing to fear or worry about.
Best,
Mary Rose
A former member
Post #: 2
I was glad to see your post because my 2 yo Cavalier, Ollie, has the same wheezing episodes and I've been trying to figure out what to do about them. The wheezing is much, much scarier than a reverse sneeze since it's more prolonged and all that time it seems like the poor little pup cannot breathe. It's really scary. I also asked the vet about it and she also seemed to dismiss it. I've been thinking that it may be allergies (since she also snores at night) and have been given her Benadryl when she seems to be congested. I don't know if that is it or if it's been luck, but she hasn't had the wheezing episodes for a couple of months now. Either way, if you figure out what it may be, please let me know. It's awful to see her struggling to breathe like that.