A former member
Post #: 3
Hello! I have been a member of the group for a couple years now but never posted. I do read other posts and have got some great information over the past couple years. I am hoping now you can help me! Has anyone heard of Syringomyelia? From what I have read it is fairly common in the Cav breed.

I ask because by 3yo boy, Sullivan, has been acting fairly strange. We took him to the vet and they said they thought it was seizures, however I am almost sure it's not. We have another appointment with a doggy neurologist next week and I plan on asking about Syringomyelia since the symptoms seem to match what he is doing and after watching videos online, it seems almost exactly it.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone heard about of it and if so, could share some light on it for me. Thank you and Happy Holidays and New Year everyone!
katie
user 14598688
Ronkonkoma, NY
Post #: 1
I went to the Plainview Dr Marino years ago with my beagle Lucy. She had a different issue than SM. However, he & a female neurologist gave me surgery as the next option & I felt like it was a squeeze play. Came home, discussed it with my husband. We knew we couldn't put the dog thru the surgery & in her case - the convalescence- to be crated for a solid month at home & be carried in & out for potty. She just wouldn't have understood & would've howled & been beside herself. Torture for all concerned. So we knew we would put her down if necessary. No more suffering for anyone. Went back to my local vet, he agreed with our decision but I said let's take one more go at the medication. IT WORKED. She lived for many more fruitful happy years. So go with your gut. In fact my friend yrs ago went to Marino with her cav - they diagnosed SM, suggested surgery & Spencer rebounded & never exhibited another symptom. Merry Christmas!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi ShellandSull,

Our breeder strongly cautioned us about unscrupulous neurologist vets out there who are (in her opinion) too quick to push expensive, possibly unnecessary SM surgery. In the little bit of reading that I've done, it seems that glue ear is very often misdiagnosed as Syringomyelia in Cavs, that they have near identical symptoms.

Make sure you trust your vet, and maybe encourage them to try to rule out glue ear.

Wishing you and Sullivan the very best on this difficult medical path...and happy holidays:)

Jessica & Charlie Bucket