Alison W.
user 12684367
Washington, DC
Post #: 7
Hi All,
Does anyone feed their Cavalier dry food? My guy is super picky and only likes 2 types of Addiction wet food, but I wanted to find a dry food for him. So far I have tried just about every variety sold at Wylie Wagg. Any advice would be appreciated!
:) Ollie's mom
Mary H.
user 31758352
Montpelier, VA
Post #: 2
According to many breeders of Cavaliers, Orijen is the best food for our Cavaliers. It's expensive but worth it. Others are using Natures Domain (from Costco). In the meantime, please be aware of this recall: http://www.fda.gov/Sa...­
Caryna F.
user 4125843
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 13
Hi Ollie's Mom,

This is always a big topic for discussion on breeder lists...what is the best kibble?

One great resource for information is: http://www.dogfoodadv...­

The best kibble is the one your Cavalier likes! I think it might take some effort in order to switch your dog from the canned to the dry kibble. Also remember that your Cavalier will need to increase water intake when you feed dry kibble.

The breeders that I know feed various brands of kibble. Some of the most popular names are: Purina Pro Plan, Fromm's, Candidae, Taste of The Wild. Blue Buffalo is also popular right now. These brands all offer formulations that are fairly well-balanced in terms of protein and fat. Another name I would add to this list is Acana. They seem to have a very good product as well. I have had some recent experience with feeding this food, and I was impressed.

In your search for a kibble that your Cavalier enjoys eating, I would suggest stopping in at Weber's pet supply if you are in the Fairfax area. They offer a great selection of dry foods. Also, free sample bags of many of these kibbles.

Canned food does tend to stick to canine teeth more so than any other type of food. Instead of canned or kibble, you might want to consider frozen raw? Also consider soaking kibble initially. Might help with the transition.

I would also quickly note, if you do try Orjin, be sure to switch over very slowly, as it can give your Cavalier loose stools if done quickly.

I have personally fed my dogs the Fromm's brand kibble for several years and can recommend that brand.

Hope those various suggestions help, and that you find the kibble that your Cavalier likes!

Caryna