addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Meetup Group Message Board › My very active Cavalier Spaniel

My very active Cavalier Spaniel

A former member
Post #: 1
I have a one year old Cavalier Spaniel that is so hyperactive. Before I got her, I researched the breed and read that Cavalier's are quiet lap dogs. Not so with her. All she wants to do is play with her ball. I was only recently able to even hold her in my lap at all. I love her so much. She is the sweetest little dog. I also have serious potty training issues with her. I am in the second training class with her and am told there is hope! Ha Ha. Does anyone else have these problems?
Ann B.
user 65809492
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Hi Perry,
We have two Cavies, and one of my friends has a Cavie also.
Our mom dog
Illy, was sort of hyperactive, probably for the first 1&1/2 years. She's had 4 litters of pups also. This is what'd I'd say about hyperactivity:
Are there other pets around her? How does she act with them?
Does she interface with other pets, and people?
Does she have a set routine?
Are you the alpha dog, or, is she?
Do you give commands in a calm, firm voice?
I believe that she will become calmer as she ages, and, with lots of activity, other pets and people around her, she will be the wonderful pet that Cavies are!
Hope this didn't sound too bossy, and that it helps. It's always a learning process. Hang in there, it'll get better!
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Ann! Thanks so much for your advice. We have a ten year old cat. We had him when we got Sunny our Cavalier. Recently we got a Chi/Pom mix at the humane society to play with Sunny, but the new dog is very calm. The new dog's name is Foxie. Foxie is 2-3 years old. Sunny loves all people and pets. Her life is her ball. You can throw that ball all day long and never tire her out. I am trying to do every thing the trainer says, but she is very hard headed. I am hoping a little age will settle her down. I don't really understand the alpha dog thing. I am a stay at home wife so I have lots of time to give her, and I have. People tell me she will most likely settle down eventually, but one or two people have told me she may always be that way. We had her spayed, so we can't settle her down with a litter of puppies! Ha ha. We just love her so much, but we are close to 60 with no children at home anymore. We have grandkids that love to play with her. We just were not expecting such a hyperactive dog.