Columbia Dogs-on-the-Go Message Board › Farewell, Ancho and Sparkle

Farewell, Ancho and Sparkle

Mary L.
maryclove
Group Organizer
Columbia, MD

Please join me in offering our condolences to Pat­, who lost both of her dogs in the past month. Ancho was 13 and Sparkle was 14.

Pat was one of our very first assistant organizers when we started our group more than 5 years ago. She and Ancho and Sparkle were always enthusiastic about scouting new walks, co-leading walks, and just generally boosting morale. Pat always enjoyed introducing them and telling folks about the Swedish Valhund breed.

Both dogs were agility champs, and Pat continued with this activity until the dogs’ aging and illnesses made it no longer fun for them. The three were a familiar site in our neighborhood—always walking, hiking, visiting Rita’s. They even did backpacking and camping trips—enjoying the outdoors and being active as much as possible. Ancho and Sparkle were Canine Good Citizens, and volunteered as therapy dogs—bringing their congenial personalities to hospitals and nursing homes.

We all know that the time with our dogs passes so quickly. They go from bouncing puppies to little old guys way too fast. But we do the best we can. And Pat is such a good model for giving a dog the happiest and healthiest life possible.

We’ll miss you, Ancho and Sparkle. You always looked like you were smiling and just enjoying life. You were good, good dogs.
Barbara
user 73572292
Columbia, MD
Post #: 1
Pat,

Deepest sympathies for your loss.
dale k.
user 9890990
Columbia, MD
Post #: 10
Pat,
I've lost two dogs within 8 months and was stunned that it happened because they were so very far apart in age. To lose your two inside a much shorter time is unimaginable. My sympathies to you. Thank goodness you had such rewarding times with them. You have so much love yet to give.
Dale
Elaine N.
user 8362827
Columbia, MD
Post #: 1
Dear Pat,
I'm so sorry to hear that Ancho and Sparkle are no longer with us. They were a great addition to Dogs on the Go and our neighborhood. They were very good dogs.
Elaine
Susan G.
user 7338275
Columbia, MD
Post #: 12
Pat,
I am so sorry to hear about your dogs. It is heartbreaking to lose one dog let alone two in such a short period of time.
Susan
Janet A.
user 13406845
Columbia, MD
Post #: 4
Dear Pat,

Gaby and I have missed you on the trail. I was saddened to learn of Ancho's passing, and now it's more than double the pain for you to lose Sparkle as well. We just lost our dear Maltese in July, and the grief is very deep. Please hang in there, Pat. We pray that you will find happiness again soon, and know that your babies are smiling upon you from heaven.

Janet and Gaby
Vicki S.
user 9462975
Columbia, MD
Post #: 3
Pat, I am so sorry that you have lost Ancho and Sparkle. I know how it feels as I lost my 2 companions within a space of 2 weeks 6 years ago. I was lost and numb for a time but finally made room in my heart for another fur friend. Take comfort in the knowledge that you provided them with a wonderful. life. Eventually you will feel better. Vicki Sarno
Gloria
user 10987596
Columbia, MD
Post #: 28
I happened to see Pat walking in Kings Contrivance last weekend, all alone, but with her usual dog stuff strapped to her waist. When I asked why she had no dog, she told me what happened to Sparkle on Tuesday. I had known about Ancho but not Sparkle. I was immediately struck by great sadness for Pat, who actually cheered ME up when she said that she was also very sad and missed them terribly, but that she greatly appreciated the years that she had had with each of them, and knew it would not last forever. She adopted both dogs as adults and gave them a wonderful home in the time they had together. She is grieving now, but said she would eventually get another dog. Muffin is my first dog, and my fear of losing a pet was part of the reason for the delay in getting one. Pat helped me to really understand that the sadness is awful, but so worth the incredible happiness that we get from these amazing companions. Thank you, Pat!
Jeff C.
user 70074722
Columbia, MD
Post #: 2
Pat: With a furry, four legged, bundle of "always happy to see you" member of my family, I was saddened to hear of your loss. Twice in one month is two to many!

I agree with Mary Our companions are in our lives for too short of a time. We love them when they are here, and love them after they are gone.

Farewell and fond memories.

Jeff
Eileen
user 10496646
Columbia, MD
Post #: 46
Pat,
I am so sorry to hear about both Ancho and Sparkle. What a devastating month it has been for you. They were such sweet doggies, and I loved walking with you all in the parks. I'm sure they continue to walk with you in spirit. They are together forever, and in your heart.
Eileen