Washington DC Gluten-Free Dinner Club Message Board › Shampoo and Celiac Disease

Shampoo and Celiac Disease

A former member
Post #: 36
If anyone has used G/F shampoo, would you please tell me the name(s).

At the G/F potlach on Feb. 27, I learned some important things that may help me solve a shampoo problem that I have had for forty years. My reaction might be part of my celiac disease. I have two reasons to think this is possible.

1) I learned that celiac disease is triggered by some stressful event in a person's life. I began having the shampoo problem when I was in college. That is also the same time when a pediatrician noticed sores on my back, which he could not explain. (I have dermatitis herpatiformis)

2) A G/F member told me that she had symptoms similar to mine (total muscle weakness and increased nerve sensitivity) if she ate any products with gluten.

I found the information below about the the use of wheat in shampoo (from a wikipedia article on shampoo, which is from the Lake Michigan Celiac Support Group.

http://lakemichiganceliacs.com/index.php?p=1_53_Hidden-Gluten­

Both shampoos I have been using have wheat in them. The Olive Oil shampoo has wheat protein
olivat (Olive Oil glutinate) and the Kirkland Hydrating Shampoo has Wheat Germ Oil. So now I want to find a G/F shampoo.

If anyone has G/F shampoo they have used successfully, please let me know.

Thanks, ~john

Gluten and/or Wheat Free

Many people suffer from eczema on their palms and their head.[11] Some find that wheat and/or gluten (the protein found in many grains including wheat) is the cause, particularly if they are sensitive to this in food e.g. celiac disease wheat allergy. Other reactions can include dandruff, thinning hair and hair that breaks easily.[citation needed] Shampoo can often go into the mouth, particularly for children, so all individuals who are on gluten-free diets may prefer to find a gluten-free shampoo. Shampoo manufacturers are starting to recognise this and there are now gluten/wheat free products available.

Wheat derivatives and ingredients from the other gluten grains are commonly used as binders to help the shampoo stick together and are also used as emollients in the form of oils. Following is a list of grain-derived shampoo ingredients.[12] Most of these ingredients do not theoretically contain any intact wheat proteins, but may do so due to incomplete processing or contamination.

* triticum vulgare (wheat), hordeum vulgare (barley), secale cereale (rye), or avena sativa (oats), including any oil, protein, hydrosylate, or other extract from any part of the plant.
* Tocopherol/Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), which may be derived from wheat
* Hydrolyzed Hydrolyzed wheat protein / hydrolyzed wheat starch, also sometimes listed as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl or hydroxypropyltrimonium
* cyclodextrin, which may be produced from starch by means of enzymatic conversion
* amino peptide complex
* maltodextrin, dextrin, dextrin palmitate, or (hydrolyzed) malt extract
* phytosphingosine extract
* amino peptide complex
* prolamine
* beta glucan
* Disodium Wheat Germamido PEG-2-Sulfosuccinat
* Fermented Grain Extract
* AMP-Isostearoyl
* PG-Propyl Silanetriol
* PVP Crosspolymer
* Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate
* Yeast extract
* Phytospingosine Extract
* "Fragrance" is a broad category that may contain large numbers of chemicals that are otherwise unlisted on the label.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shampoo­
A former member
Post #: 41
Links to web sites of 3 G/F shampoos.

1) www.giovannicosmetics.com­

Q Do your products contain Gluten?

A Our product formulations contain ingredients that are derived from a variety of sources and combinations of derivatives. They are manufactured where products with gluten are also produced. With this in mind, we cannot ensure cross contamination will not occur during the manufacturing process. We cannot explicitly guarantee that are products are gluten-free.

If you are sensitive to an ingredient or want to decrease your exposure to a specific ingredient, it is important to know exactly what your personal care products are made of before your purchase. Therefore, we suggest that you study the product in question to know what ingredients are used. Due to the chain of supply certain Giovanni products may have previous ingredient statements. Please refer to the ingredient label as affixed to or printed on each product.

We understand how difficult it can be finding products that meet the requirements of a restricted lifestyle and we wish you success in finding the product that meets your needs.

Many people with sensitivities and allergies have used our products with great success.

2) Gluten Free Savonnerie Soaps
www.gfsoap.com

3) www.fleurishbeauty.com­

Below is a list of gluten derived ingredients which may be found in personal care products:

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE
HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN/PVP CROSSPOLYMER
HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH
HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL
VITAMIN E DERIVED FROM WHEAT GERM OIL
WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPALKONIUM CHLORIDE
WHEATGERMAMIDOPROPYL ETHYLDIMONIUM ETHOSULFATE
WHEAT AMINO ACIDS
WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT
WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL
WHEAT GERM EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES
WHEAT GERM OIL
WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX
BARLEY EXTRACT
BARLEY LIPIDS
HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT
HYDROLYZED MALT EXTRACT
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT
SAMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX

RYE DERIVED INGREDIENTS
SECALE CEREALE (RYE) SEED FLOUR

OAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AVENA SATIVA (OAT) KERNEL PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED OAT FLOUR
OAT AMINO ACIDS
OAT (AVENA SATIVA) EXTRACT
OAT BETA GLUCANOAT EXTRACT
OAT FLOURSODIUM LAUROYL
SAVENA SATIVA (OAT) FLOUR

MISC.

CYCLODEXTRIN
DEXTRIN
DEXTRIN PALMITATE
HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN
MALTODEXTRIN (COULD BE DERIVED FROM BARLEY)

A former member
Post #: 51
UPDATE ON SELF-TESTING WITH G/F SHAMPOO and SOAP.

First, I used Giovanni shampoo that I bought at RiteAide Drug store. Good news/bad news.

The good news is that I did not have my usual reaction when using shampoo -- no increased nerve sensitivity and no muscle weakness.

The bad news is that I could not sleep that night and only 4 hours the next day. I used a lot of the shampoo to make sure I used enough to guarantee my usual reaction. But even when I used a smaller amount in my second try I difficulty sleeping during the night and was tired the next day. I used even less on my third try and washed my hair in the morning instead of the evening. I had a less noticeable reaction, but did not sleep well that night.

Second, I used Dakota Free 100% natural and G/F soap that can also be used to wash hair. It lathered a lot. But I had my usual reaction after using it. That tells me that the problem for me in shampoo is not gluten.

Third, I used Savonniere shampoo from www.gfsoap.com. It is made by the same small business that makes the Dakota free products. The Savonniere shampoo worked well for me. No nerve sensitivity, no muscle weakness, no excessive alertness. However, I have only used it one time. I plan to use it at least five times before I testify to its ability to wash my hair and do no harm.

Both the Dakota Free and the Savonniere products are Fragrance-Free Casein-Free Gluten-Free Corn-Free Soy-Free Dye-Free and Peanut-Free. The difference is that the Dakota Free products are 100% natural whereas the Savonniere has synthetic chemicals.

In my case, it seems that this particular G/F shampoo with synthetic chemicals is best for me.

P.S. Does anyone else watch Dr. Bishop on the TV show, Fringe, test chemicals on himself to grow back the part of his missing brain. That's who I identify with.confused
Tanya
user 3875734
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Dessert Essence - in their organics line - has several "gluten and wheat free" hair products, lotions, etc. and is so stated on their products. Whole Foods carries them and I'm sure some other stores around here too. They have great online service. If you let them know you can only handle GF items, then even the samples they send are GF and it's reasonably priced.
A former member
Post #: 52
Thank you for this suggestion, Tanya. I will look for it at our Silver Spring Whole Foods.