CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › Gun control

Gun control

Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 41
On my way to work this morning, I thought of a great idea... INSURE GUNS JUST LIKE CARS! That's right, have MANDATORY gun insurance. Have a criminal record, your premiums go up! Someone steals your gun, your premiums go up. Have a military assault weapon, you got it... your premiums go up! And so on and so on, exactly like car insurance... this would be "the American way". This what I'm going to push for, if we can't ban guns... price them out of existence! All I must do is raise awareness of my idea to get the ball rolling, until it snowballs into a mandate, just like car insurance!
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,455
The purpose of insurance is to insure against a large potential liability (death, lawsuit, etc.). We all die, so life insurance is potentially very needed. We all drive a car and can do great damage (translate: getting sued for property and personal damage, etc.), so insurance can greatly help. But gun owners aren't really being sued, so they don't need insurance. So it seems quite unlike life insurance, car insurance, etc. to me.

RE: "Have a criminal record, your premiums go up!"

Most likely, can't get a gun, legally, if one has a criminal record,,, but it might depend on the crime. A few months back I bought a gun online and they do a background check.
Lane
user 69930862
Portland, OR
Post #: 11
On my way to work this morning, I thought of a great idea... INSURE GUNS JUST LIKE CARS! That's right, have MANDATORY gun insurance. Have a criminal record, your premiums go up! Someone steals your gun, your premiums go up. Have a military assault weapon, you got it... your premiums go up! And so on and so on, exactly like car insurance... this would be "the American way". This what I'm going to push for, if we can't ban guns... price them out of existence! All I must do is raise awareness of my idea to get the ball rolling, until it snowballs into a mandate, just like car insurance!

Interesting idea. So how would it have affected the last two high-profile shootings?

I regard insurance as gambling, though.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,459
Apparently gun sales are going through the roof. I've seen this in more than one place, but here's something from cheaperthandirt.com (online gun seller):

Cheaper Than Dirt! recently announced that it was temporarily suspending online sales of firearms pending a review of its order processing and procedures. Well-known for its ability to process and ship orders within 24 hours, online sales have skyrocketed to a point where it may take up to 72 hours for firearms and other items to ship.
Ron
HotMetal
Portland, OR
Post #: 42
Lane, the insurance company that insured the gun and owner would have to pay the damages done by that gun she owned. I know she was killed by her son, but that does not stop insurance company's responsibility to pay the claim.
Bernie, the reason why guns are selling like hotcakes is because they know the shit has hit the fan over this last incident... many people are absolutely pissed off and something big will happen very soon, it's the straw that broke the camel's back.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,460
RE: "Bernie, the reason why guns are selling like hotcakes is because they know the shit has hit the fan over this last incident... many people are absolutely pissed off and something big will happen very soon, it's the straw that broke the camel's back."

Yup- Obama put Biden on it. I have doubts that anything significant will change. The biggest problem in this case was probably mental illness. Probably even worse than the original attack is the feared copy-cat attacks. There's already a few cases of arrests of people who have claimed to want to do similar damage at schools.

When I was a kid, the problem was postal workers "going postal." You don't hear about that anymore. It is like these sickos want to go out in a blaze of glory; and to get the headlines, they have to do something lower than those previously. Then others want to come along and break their record so they can be the most famous. The News stations help out by building the infamy.

I'm pretty sure we'll always have semi-automatic weapons, as handguns, even if assault rifles are banned. They might even be worse (easier to sneak in a handgun or two rather than a rifle; easier to conceal).

After Columbine, there was a lot of talk about banning guns... but I don't think much happened as a result. Probably the same case here.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,484
Ron- here's a link about someone who had an art (music) idea with guns:
http://news.yahoo.com...­