CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board Announcements › Premiere of "atheism-themed film" for mainstream audiences

Premiere of "atheism-themed film" for mainstream audiences

A former member
Post #: 124
Darrin
DarrinB
Salem, OR
Post #: 1
Without having seen the film, I have to question how an atheist who seduces a married woman is a "hero" and the husband who seeks revenge a "villain".

Guess I'll have to find out, won't I? wink
Robert
user 13178933
Portland, OR
Post #: 9
That was a good blog post. I am interested in seeing this movie -- it has a terrific cast. Even though the movies promote as many myths as religion -- good vs. evil, hero vs. villain, happily ever after, love at first sight, Fate, Adam Sandler is funny, etc.

As far as the movie being "Brokeback Mountain" for atheists, I doubt it. It is one thing to get possibly otherwise reluctant heterosexuals to sympathize with homosexual protagonists, but it is much harder to get believers to sympathize with a non-believer of their cherished beliefs. "Brokeback" would have gotten less traction with straight people if it had anti-heterosexual lead characters instead of gay lead characters. :)

Oh, superstitious beliefs, I wish we knew how to quit you!

One of my favorite movies is "The Rapture" -- which shows you how tyrannical, sadistic, unreasonable, childish, and disturbing a loving god could be, if the Christian universe was real.
A former member
Post #: 127
"Adam Sandler is funny" as myth. Good one. So how does that jive with "has a terrific cast?" ;-)

I read Proulx's story but didn't see Brokeback, but your point is well taken, and it didn't hurt that the actors were good looking and young. Still, I don't know that the movie pulled people into sympathetic positions regarding homosexuality; did "Philadelphia" generate compassion for HIV+ people? I don't know. Did "Waterworld" increase aquaphilia? Did "Forrest Gump" generate enthusiasm for table tennis (I wish)?

Thanks for the expansion on the myth theme. All points well taken.
Robert
user 13178933
Portland, OR
Post #: 10
"Adam Sandler is funny" as myth. Good one. So how does that jive with "has a terrific cast?" ;-)

Because Adam Sandler is not in the cast? It might just be a non sequitur.

I read Proulx's story but didn't see Brokeback, but your point is well taken, and it didn't hurt that the actors were good looking and young. Still, I don't know that the movie pulled people into sympathetic positions regarding homosexuality; did "Philadelphia" generate compassion for HIV+ people? I don't know. Did "Waterworld" increase aquaphilia? Did "Forrest Gump" generate enthusiasm for table tennis (I wish)?

Thanks for the expansion on the myth theme. All points well taken.

I think gay characters in recent pop culture have increased tolerance, and decreased homophobia. I think Tom Hanks, when he was at the height of his popularity, playing a gay man with aids, had an impact on our societal view of both the disease, and being gay. What was the societal impact of Waterworld & Forrest Gump? Perhaps not much. Though Waterworld may have reduced the public's tolerance for Kevin Costner.

Maybe we should not give too much credit to superficial entertainment, but I think African-American actors playing the US President in movies, and on TV, helped pave the way for electing Obama. Obama may owe a debt to Morgan Freeman, that Jesse Jackson never owed to Billy Dee Williams. Maybe not. :)
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,248
Without having seen the film, I have to question how an atheist who seduces a married woman is a "hero" and the husband who seeks revenge a "villain".

Guess I'll have to find out, won't I? wink

Part of the article might be misleading, perhaps with intent to give people a negative view of atheism. I say that because the person who wrote the article describes the movie by saying "an atheist who has seduced the religious man’s Christian wife" but then the article says the mission of the atheist producer "is to help create a more positive image for atheism". Those statements seem to contradict each other, unless the word the seduction being spoken is not the sexual kind. It makes me wonder if the seduction being spoken of is not a sexual seduction, not an attempt to commit adultery. Perhaps the seduction is one of trying change the religious views of the woman, trying to seduce her away from religion and religious practices and towards atheism. For example http://dictionary.ref...­ gives the following third definition for "seduce", "to lead or draw away, as from principles, faith, or allegiance: He was seduced by the prospect of gain." Another possibility is that if a sexual seduction is involved, maybe it is in the context of the married husband being very harsh and unloving to his wife.
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,249
Hey I just noticed (from http://en.wikipedia.o...­) ) that the atheist character in the movie has the same first name as me, a name which is very uncommon in the USA (but common in the UK). The Wickipedia article does say the atheist was commiting adultery with the married woman, not a good behavior on his part but I still wonder what the context is. I the atheist character doesn't give me a bad reputation.