addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › Mars Hill Church setting up in Portland!

Mars Hill Church setting up in Portland!

Wes M.
Wesley-M
Portland, OR
Post #: 54
Just found this:

http://www.oregonlive...­

It seems to be setting up in the old Staub Memorial Congregational Church, where I attended when I was a Bible School student back in the late '60s.

For the life of me I can't figure out they think this is going to be successful in SE Pdx, unless of course, they hope to attract all the fundamentalist lurkers who are living under the radar in SE.

wes
Justin
JustinRose
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 73
I'll never get used to metro-sexual christians.
Wes M.
Wesley-M
Portland, OR
Post #: 55
Maybe they're going to bring Michelle Bachmann's husband in to run homosexual de-programming workshops?

Maybe they plan on running buses to rural Clackamas County in order to fill the pews? (Don't worry, I live in Clackamas Co myself).
Justin
JustinRose
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 74
I always assumed that his 'pray away the gay' camp was just his personal stable.
A former member
Post #: 306

The fundamentalists at least have some facts on their side. The bible condemns homosexual behavior pretty definitively. I don't think you can honestly interpret it another way. Of course, the literalist would be obliged to behave in a number of ways that current society would not tolerate at all.

It seems you have the choice between intolerance and having to creatively ignore much of your own scripture. I honestly don't know how liberal christians get through the day. Too much dissonance for me.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,009
"It seems you have the choice between intolerance and having to creatively ignore much of your own scripture. I honestly don't know how liberal Christians get through the day. Too much dissonance for me."

Easy. They say the Bible was written to the people in their day. It wasn't written to us. So we can use the principles, but we shouldn't take it literally.

On a second point, God shows progressive revelation. He doesn't tell or saying everything upfront in Genesis ch. 1. God's message unfolds, culminating in the message of redemption through Christ in the New Testament.

This idea of 'progressive revelation' is something the scholars know or understand, but not necessarily the lay people. Joseph Smith (the inventor of Mormonism) didn't know about it, so when he invented his holy book, he has people getting baptized in the name of Jesus in the Old Testament times... before Jesus was even born!

Mormon info, source:
http://www.utlm.org/n...­

Excerpt:
The Old Testament has no mention of Jesus Christ by name, or the Christian concept of baptism, yet these are an integral part of the Nephite religion in the Book of Mormon during the period before Christ. For instance, in approximately 550 BC God instructs the Nephites, "repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son" (2 Nephi: 31:11). Another Book of Mormon passage supposedly written about 121 BC contains words obviously taken from 1 Corinthians 15:58. It says: "Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his" (Mosiah 5:15). Hundreds of phrases from the Bible have been sprinkled throughout the Book of Mormon to give it the sound of scripture.[38]
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,421
Ryan said:

"It seems you have the choice between intolerance and having to creatively ignore much of your own scripture. I honestly don't know how liberal Christians get through the day. Too much dissonance for me."

Bernie said:

Easy. They say the Bible was written to the people in their day. It wasn't written to us. So we can use the principles, but we shouldn't take it literally.

In speaking with some liberal Christians and some Jews, they say that portions of the Old Testament were only slightly inspired and that some of what is written in the Old Testament are incorrect viewpoints as a result. Some Jews say that the Hebrew Scriptures is a very human book and that it is an imperfect attempt to ascertain the divine message. Some liberal Christians say the when the prophets were receiving a vision about God, the prophets might have been incorrect in thinking that the vision came from God instead of their own mind. They recognize that if that is the case, then the prophetic visions may contain a mixture of incorrect views and correct views. I think that kind of liberal interpretation of scripture by Jews and Christians results in little (if any) cognitive dissonance, while allowing them to believe that the books of the Bible are God's inspired word in varying degrees. I think that kind of liberal approach has much more merit than the fundamentalist approach, except that the liberal approach allows for a much wider range of interpretations (but then some liberals consider that a good thing). It is kind of like how secularists view secular books, including science books, they believe they often contain truth, but that some incorrect ideas are likely mixed in. They also believe that scientific understandings are progressive over time, that they are progressively discovered by humans, with incorrect concepts being gradually discarded or revised.

Bernie said:

On a second point, God shows progressive revelation. He doesn't tell or saying everything upfront in Genesis ch. 1. God's message unfolds, culminating in the message of redemption through Christ in the New Testament.

This idea of 'progressive revelation' is something the scholars know or understand, but not necessarily the lay people. Joseph Smith (the inventor of Mormonism) didn't know about it, so when he invented his holy book, he has people getting baptized in the name of Jesus in the Old Testament times... before Jesus was even born!

At least the Mormon approach solves the problem of how pagan religions adopted some religious views and practices before the Jews and Christians did. The Mormons thus don't have to say that Satan copied God in advance (that Satan revealed elements of true teachings to pagan religions before god revealed it to the Jews and Christians).