CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › yourPDXevents.com -- a front for religious teachings (evolution/creation)

yourPDXevents.com -- a front for religious teachings (evolution/creation)

Dave D.
dcdinucci
Portland, OR
Post #: 48
I was sort of intrigued when I saw a big billboard last week for http://yourPDXevents....­ because (a) it looked like your standard PDX events website, but (b) the billboard was on 7th Day Adventist land (Adventist Academy and church). On tuning in, that seems to be the goal, to lure unsuspecting people into "interesting" events, some even seeming science related, that are actually preaching.

With all of the interest in evolution-related discussion and debates here, maybe some CFIers (who like keeping speakers factual) might be interested in attending the free presentations on evolution being advertised at that website, "Out of Thin Air"? It took some digging to figure out the religious angle for another presentation there, "Using Your Brain for Success": Apparently, at least some is about customizing worship styles to appeal to different "brain lead" -- e.g.
http://www.arlenetayl...­

Ryan S.
user 9323995
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 307

It is a bit tricksy. You have to click on several links before you even find the address. Still, I think its good that the subject of science is being addressed. However oddly packaged. Given all the secular converts I've spoken to that have told me that their interest in science is what inspired them to question.
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,508
I was sort of intrigued when I saw a big billboard last week for http://yourPDXevents....­ because (a) it looked like your standard PDX events website, but (b) the billboard was on 7th Day Adventist land (Adventist Academy and church).

The bottom of the web page says "YourPDXevents.com is sponsored by the members of the Sunnyside Seventh-day Adventist Church".
Dave D.
dcdinucci
Portland, OR
Post #: 49

The bottom of the web page says "YourPDXevents.com is sponsored by the members of the Sunnyside Seventh-day Adventist Church".

Indeed it does -- for anyone who suspects enough to scroll down to find it. And the "t" in "events" is in a different color, so maybe one can suspect from that that it's religious. Or maybe one can recognize the contact address as the Adventist Church. They even use the word "spiritual" among the 60-odd words in the site description. And there's the pattern of where many (all?) the events are held. So, true, if my heading suggests that they're being downright clandestine, I'll retract it, but there are surely ways they could have made it clearer that the site is not only "sponsored by", but completely hosted and run by and for the church, if they wanted to.

But my main suggestion was just, similar to Ryan's comment, that if they want to hold scientific-sounding presentations, and CFI is similarly interested in promoting accurate science, then maybe they would appreciate having some CFI members attend their free events. Or maybe not? I'd personally be interested in seeing whether you even get in, and/or called on for a question or comment.

(Aside: In looking up that address, I see that according to Zillow, the church is listed as a 33200ft single family home, with a value that has gone from around $500k to about $4M in the last 3 years. Wish I had property that did that well!)
Ryan S.
user 9323995
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 308

Can't hurt to ask. The adventists that I know personally are pretty friendly. I don't know what their general policy is regarding public debate with outsiders.

Certainly more and more denominations are opening up to this all the time.
Dave D.
dcdinucci
Portland, OR
Post #: 50

Can't hurt to ask. The adventists that I know personally are pretty friendly. I don't know what their general policy is regarding public debate with outsiders.

Certainly more and more denominations are opening up to this all the time.

Just to be clear, I am not proposing a debate per se. I'm just suggesting that people in this group be aware that there's another group presenting a talk on evolution which purports to present scientific evidence in an accurate, free, and open manner, and advertised on a website that's obviously meant for a wide audience. From the description there, I wouldn't consider us "outsiders". And some of us might be interested enough in the topic to attend and want to ask some questions if the opportunity arises. (If they don't want to make clear that it's a religious/church website, then they shouldn't be surprised to get non-church-going attendees. In fact, I assume that's the goal, as long as the attendees are gullible enough.)

If you are suggesting that the people presenting the talk might be interested in truly understanding the science, and/or having their audience be made aware of it, I personally doubt it, but I suppose my suggestion here could be viewed as proposing an experiment to test that hypothesis. :-)
Wes
Wesley-M
Portland, OR
Post #: 56
Just this morning, as my job is designing ads for a certain daily newspaper, I came across an ad for this "Out of Thin Air" seminar that they are running in the paper. They should certainly NOT be surprised if some skeptics show up and ask questions (that's providing they have an open Q&A after the main speaker). I heartily encourage some to do it, especially those with up to date knowledge of evolutionary and genetic science. Most of the creationist speakers are about 30 or 40 years behind the current state of knowledge in these areas. The main presenter is a Dr. Doug Newton, who is chief of staff at Walla Walla Hospital, claims he has been studying the "evolution theory vs creation theory for over 14 years".
Justin
JustinRose
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 79
She has a bullshit PhD too:

Arlene Taylor PhD

Bachelor of Science, Nursing, with a Public Health Nursing Certificate, and a Health and Development lifetime credential for school nursing K-14. Loma Linda University, CA. 1964.
Master of Science, Epidemiology and Health Education. Columbia Pacific University, CA, 1983. Doctorate, Health and Human Services with an emphasis in women's issues, 1988.
Doctorate, Clinical Pastoral Counseling, with an emphasis in issues of abuse, addiction, and recovery. Biblical Life College and Seminary (formerly Evangelical Theological Seminary), MO. 1994.

Justin
JustinRose
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 80
From a bullshit school:

http://www.biblical-l...­

The question that we need to ask ourselves is: “Is our government or the secular accrediting associations (filled with humanistic, liberal educators) qualified to accredit the spiritual preparation for ministers of the Gospel?” Personally, I would have to answer “no.”

Justin
JustinRose
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 81
Oh; also a bullshit masters:

Columbia Pacific University -

Columbia Pacific University (CPU) was an unaccredited nontraditional distance learning school in California.[1] It was founded in 1978 by Richard Crews,[2] a Harvard-trained psychiatrist, and Lester Carr, a former president of Lewis University,[3] and operated with state approval. Distance learning and education authority John Bear gave "high marks" to the school in his 1982 "Bear's Guide to Non-Traditional College Degrees, 8th edition." [4]
CPU was closed by California court order in 2000.[5] The court also ruled that CPU had granted degrees legally between 1978 and mid-1997.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.o...­