CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board Announcements › A final goodbye tonight: memorial celebration for Dustin Finney

A final goodbye tonight: memorial celebration for Dustin Finney

Sue M.
suemarie2
Portland, OR
Post #: 57
In case you haven't seen this elsewhere...

Memorial Celebration for Dustin Finney
Friday, November 11, 2011
Minnehaha Grange
4905 NE St Johns Blvd
Vancouver, WA

Dustin Finney of Vancouver, WA, died on August 12th at age 28 in a hit-and-run accident while riding his bicycle on a major Portland road. His passing has been noted by many who had never even met him, both in the environmental movement and the freethought community, which were among his many interests.

For those of you who met this young man at the Northwest Freethought Conference earlier this year and saw his passion for bringing science and reason without supernaturalism to his generation, no doubt you were as impressed as the several organizers of groups in attendance who scrambled to get him on board as a youth liason.

Eventually, he chose to work to re-establish a college secular student group on the PCC Cascade campus where he attended; to lend his hand to the Columbia Chapter of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, organizing their entry in the Portland Gay Pride Parade; and to help other freethought groups who work with young people to get the word out about our movement.

Dustin's mother has said that his family would be honored for anyone and everyone who would be interested to attend. "Seeing the love and care that people have for Dustin is the most comforting thing for us."

I will forgo PHFF tonight to attend the memorial as our freethought emissary for those who cannot make it...

~Sue Marie
Dave D.
dcdinucci
Portland, OR
Post #: 53
Since time is running short for Sue to respond...

Kristi Finney's flier says "7:00PM-???" for the time.

Further contact info for the Finney family available on request. (I hesitate to post phones and emails publicly.)

I also wish I could make it, and am sending my respects in email (at least), but also appreciate the effort of those who are attending.