CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board Announcements › New laughter club: ROFLMAO :-)

New laughter club: ROFLMAO :-)

A former member
Post #: 246
Hello CFI folks,

I just moved back to PDX from Seattle, where I was an active member of two communities: atheists and laughter clubs. To meet new people here in Portland, I started a laughter club called ROFLMAO.

The name was a conscious decision to *not* follow the trend of "laughter yoga" groups that attract "spiritual but not religious" (or overtly religious) individuals. A computer slang term like ROFLMAO makes no allusion to yoga, chanting, "spirit," guided meditation, or anything metaphysical.

My atheists friends are irreverent folks (natch), always up for high-jinks and a good laugh, so I thought this would be a great place to announce ROFLMAO. Here's the Meetup site:
http://www.meetup.com...­

and here's the, er, theme song. :-)
http://www.youtube.co...­

See you soon!

Lori
A former member
Post #: 256
To streamline the name (okay, ROFLMAO is both hard to say and to explain), the club has been renamed LAGA, short for LAughter GAmes.

Come on out and join us for irreverent laughter and social connections!
A former member
Post #: 258
The laughter club, now called LAGA (Laughter Games) has a venue! We'll be meeting at the Hawthorne Wellness Center on Hawthorne Blvd.

We meet on Sunday mornings, so you now have another great alternative to church. :-)

Lori
SylviaB
SylviaB
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 164
I checked out the meetup page you linked to.

It says: "Deep breathing oxygenates your body, and the "internal jogging" of sustained laughter boosts your immune system."

Really? Maybe you can add to my education. I'd also love some input from those among us who practice science-based medicine.

I'm not sure what "oxygenates your body" means, since I thought the body regulates oxygen levels automatically, unless there is disease present (I'm a layperson, though, and I don't know if that function can be tricked, or if doing so has any benefits). It's not implausible for the exercise of laughter to have similar benefits as other low-level exercise, especially since a recent study suggest that calorie deprivation or exercise force the body to burn debris from cells, thereby "cleaning up the system", so to speak. You can find a layperson's translation in this article, which contains a link to the study, which was published in Nature. It is hypothesized that this might be the cause of at least some of the beneficial health effects of exercise. Not sure what it has to do with "oxygenation", though. Maybe you can explain that.

A more confusing statement is the claim that it "boosts immune system." How does laughter do that? Have there been studies about this to establish that a) a phenomenon exists, and b) there is a causal relationship? That would be super interesting.

I'm asthmatic, so I'm unlikely to attend anything like this because "sustained laughter" can trigger attacks. You might want to add a note for asthmatics to be careful about this.

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to your data!

Sylvia
A former member
Post #: 2
Sylvia, bravo again. (What's the equivalent to "bravo" auf Deutsch?)
DRG Sat., 10/06 10:22
SylviaB
SylviaB
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 165
Dave,

very hard to remember. The German word is "bravo" :-)
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,109
Sylvia said:

I checked out the meetup page you linked to.

It says: "Deep breathing oxygenates your body, and the "internal jogging" of sustained laughter boosts your immune system."

Really? Maybe you can add to my education. I'd also love some input from those among us who practice science-based medicine.

I'm not sure what "oxygenates your body" means, since I thought the body regulates oxygen levels automatically, unless there is disease present (I'm a layperson, though, and I don't know if that function can be tricked, or if doing so has any benefits).

I think that the person/source meant that deep breathing causes the lungs to take in more quantities of air and thus also more quantities of oxygen. I think the source also means that if that is the case, then more oxygen would enter the blood stream (from the lungs) resulting in the body being more oxygenated (at least during the time that the deep breathing is taking place). Such a point of view seems rational to me but I don't know if it is entirely correct. I don't know if it would have any effect on the immune system.
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,110
Sylvia, bravo again. (What's the equivalent to "bravo" auf Deutsch?)
DRG Sat., 10/06 10:22

"bravo" or "brava"?